Thread: HELP! Locked out of Router, help wanted with script to get username and password

Beans

HELP! Locked out of Router, help wanted with script to get username and password

Alright, I locked myself out of my router a while ago, and I got hit with a sudden idea on how to get the Administrator Username and password on it: Make a Script that Wgets it with --username= and --password= and if a file exists in the blank directory that the script was run in, display the username and password that worked.

A couple problems: First, I have absolutely no idea how to use BASH scripts other than fancy formatting stuff. Second, Please don't mention simply hitting the reset button: I don't feel comfortable enough in the area of reconfiguring routers.

I'm just getting a simple HTTP:401 error whenever I access the page without inputting a username and password. Any (useful) help would be greatly appreciated.

TAk.
    For a full signature / about me, see my website.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HELP! Locked out of Router, help wanted with script to get username and password

Sure, you *could* write a script, or you could just look for a brute force cracker that would do exactly what you want.

Just keep it for your router
    Shamelessly plugging my GLog! (GeekLog) in every post I can
    If your problem is solved, please do take the time to mention it and Mark the Thread as Solved!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: HELP! Locked out of Router, help wanted with script to get username and password

Run (Alt+F2) 'seahorse' or open System>> Preferrences>> Passwords and Encryption Keys. All passwords are stored in the 'Default' folder... unless you've never logged on to that router before.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by patryk77 View Post
    Sure, you *could* write a script, or you could just look for a brute force cracker that would do exactly what you want.

Just keep it for your router
    trying Hydra. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pastalavista View Post
    Run (Alt+F2) 'seahorse' or open System>> Preferrences>> Passwords and Encryption Keys. All passwords are stored in the 'Default' folder... unless you've never logged on to that router before.
    ... And I haven't, sorry.
    For a full signature / about me, see my website.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thumbs down Re: HELP! Locked out of Router, help wanted with script to get username and password

I would personally just give the good old reset button a good exercise, but your way is much fancier, and you don't lose your settings in the router
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerome1232 View Post
    I would personally just give the good old reset button a good exercise, but your way is much fancier, and you don't lose your settings in the router
    Exactly. I have had to do this for countless friends and relatives. Find the tiny reset button on the back and use a pinhead to hold it down for 30 seconds or so. That resets it to default and then just look up the default router password online.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Thund3rstruck View Post
    ...and then just look up the default router password online.
    Better look it up before you reset the router and can no longer connect.
    Shamelessly plugging my GLog! (GeekLog) in every post I can
    If your problem is solved, please do take the time to mention it and Mark the Thread as Solved!