Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beta 1 Officially Released

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Beta 1 Officially Released

I've tried installing this (11.04 32 bit) 3 times now. First time I got a bunch of errors before the live cd even loaded. I don't remember what it said but it filled the screen with white auto scrolling text on the black screen.

Second time, (fresh download, burnt to cd at slowest speed) Same thing.

Third time I got to the desktop, but it was asking for a username and password? On the live cd? I looked around here and found a few possible answers (for the username and password thing) of which none worked. Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I've tested every release from Karmic on, and never ran into this. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andrewabc View Post
    For those looking for Lubuntu beta since lubuntu website never mentions alpha/beta etc, and not included in release notes of ubuntu:
    http://people.ubuntu.com/~gilir/

If you use/test lubuntu, might as well bookmark that link.
    Thanks for that. I hope to see Lubuntu becoming a full fledged member of the Ubuntu family soon!

Not knowing what to expect for sure with Gnome3 on the horizon I've been looking at alternatives and Lubuntu tops the list ATM

I'd definitely add Lubuntu to my iso-testing itinerary. It's becoming a real shining star.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Angry Re: Beta 1 Officially Released

Quote Originally Posted by bigsmitty64 View Post
    Third time I got to the desktop, but it was asking for a username and password? On the live cd?
    Every time I've had that username and password bug it was some problem with the CD.

Are you burning the CD on the same pc that you're trying to boot?

I had to boot three times on two separate CD's on this pc before I got a successful boot and install. Do note the CD's were burnt on a different pc, so next time I'll transfer the .iso to this one to burn on the same drive I boot on.

The same CD worked fine first time on my newest pc, of course the one that had made the CD.

I had to try about four times to get my Thinkpad T40 to boot and install. The T40 couldn't do the "try ubuntu" but would do the install. Someone on the forums says their T40 ran O.K.

I have no clue. I was able to get there eventually. Do note a CD from early March booted and installed first time on all three of these pc's.

Jerry

p.s. I assume you've done MD5SUM on the .iso, and on first booting on the same pc there is an option to check the CD for errors...if I suspect trouble I do that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    every time i've had that username and password bug it was some problem with the cd.

i thought that to at first so i tried 3 separate downloads on 3 separate cd's

are you burning the cd on the same pc that you're trying to boot?

yes sir i am.

p.s. I assume you've done md5sum on the .iso, and on first booting on the same pc there is an option to check the cd for errors...if i suspect trouble i do that.

yes sir again! on the md5sum, although i didn't get the option to check the cd.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I burned lubuntu, and ran livecd. It loaded somewhat and came to text prompt. I eventually figured out that typing
    start lxdm
    started the session and showed the desktop. Am now testing it and putting onto liveusb. Liveusb works fine, didn't get text prompt.

Thought I'd share in case someone ended up with similar problem.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Everybody now seems to be aware that Beta 1 has been officially released, I'm going to unstick this thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12