Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Holy Wars and Ubuntu Haters

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Holy Wars and Ubuntu Haters

Quote Originally Posted by d3v1150m471c View Post
    IMO Some people can't feel complete unless they have something to whine about. )
    Too true!

i hear numerous claims, one being, they don't contribute anything, or try this, this is how i learned.
    I hear the "they don't contribute anything" quite a bit about Canonical and Ubuntu but it is largely untrue now (maybe it was in the first days of Ubuntu). Sure, maybe Ubuntu doesn't directly contribute but what Ubuntu does makes it's upstream. I use some Ubuntu patches in my arch installs (mostly font stuff).

hmmmm that was interesting
    a linux user hate linux user for using linux rofl
    Unfortunately, that happens all the time in the Linux and hacker community. It's pointless lol.

Beans

I think part of the reason is that a lot of old school Linux users don't like the way that most Linux distros seem to be trying more and more to mimic Windows / OSX and they see ubuntu as leading the way in that.

Another part of the reason is that many of the more intellectually challenged type of Linux users tend to use ubuntu, you only have to look around here for examples of "Hurr Duur, M$ windoze" to see that, and because of this all ubuntu users tend to get tarred with the same brush.
    Go out, do stuff

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by cafejunkie View Post
    I hear the "they don't contribute anything" quite a bit about Canonical and Ubuntu but it is largely untrue now (maybe it was in the first days of Ubuntu). Sure, maybe Ubuntu doesn't directly contribute but what Ubuntu does makes it's upstream.
    in reality, they are barking for nothing, it's a meaningless bark.

anyone can take, fork it, give it a glossy GUI or CLI, whatever....

none of it pertains to them, so obviously, they are old, like those folks in retirement homes barking about how cold the gelatin was, and their tooth is sensitive, next thing they line up in the cafeteria with pitch forks and torches

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It is just elitism. I generally find there are more obnoxious Mac-lovers out there spewing their hatred than there are Linux users hating on each other.
    HP G-71 Notebook Intel Core2-Duo 2.2GHz 4GB
    Dual boot Win7 - Ubuntu 10.04x64
    Shared RHEL-5.4 Virtual Machines via VMware

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TeoBigusGeekus View Post

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cafejunkie View Post
    Have you gotten any hate for using Ubuntu from the hacker community?
    I've seen the word "Ubuntards" here and there, as well as the sig "Ubuntu is an African word meaning Slackware is too hard for me," which was in alt.linux.slackware (not surprisingly, I guess). I think it's a mixture of sour grapes and elitism, when I think of it at all.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It's snobbery. But my take on it is this:

Alot of really smart super-geeks worked really really hard for years to make Linux easy enough for simple non-geeky kids like me to use... and now they're complaining that "too many non-geeky kids are using Linux"?? Um, what did you think would happen? Was it not your intention to bring Linux to us ordinary folk?

Ubuntu was among the first to bring the awesomeness of mighty Debian Linux to us "little people." That alone has been a great benefit to Debian and to Linux in general. Perhaps the super-geeks are victims of their own success!

Oh well... too late now. Buy Elitists still have their own super-geeky distros they can brag about.

-Robin

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

just use their own slogans against them too...

"use what works for you" and include -i will continue to do the same.

they should go away.

Beans

Having now discovered Debian "Squeeze", I am sticking with it, but I shall be installing 11.04 on a test box to see what's new. I don't see how it is even possible to "hate" a distribution of GNU/Linux - it is not a sentient being, just a snapshot of software evolution.

Wars are for idiots - especially OS wars. Nothing good can come from war, or from hate. Simple. Keep open-minded, and rotate your OS frequently to see what's new. I prefer longer term, stabler releases such as Debian etc, but that makes Ubuntu no less valid, right?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast