Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Battery life on laptops in Natty 11.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Battery life on laptops in Natty 11.04

Well I've been using 11.04 for a few days now and trying the AMD opensource or fglrx driver that comes with it but in both cases my laptop fan is on constantly.
    This is my main workhorse and am behind it most of the day and it is very very annoying.
    I had the same problem with 10.10 and the opensource driver but after installed the catalyst 11.3 driver it was gone.
    I have 2 cpu gnome desklets running and see the CPU is on demand, so not on performance.
    So it's proably a kernel driver issue...well the kernel driver team better fix this but imo it's a major issue.
    It's not nice to see and hear your collegae's same laptop with Win7 almost quiet as a mouse and your Ubuntu machine with nothing running is blowing like hell.
    For now I'm going back to 10.10 and watch this space to see if there's any improvement on this.

Beans

I am having the same problem too. I can get about 4-5 hours with Windows 7 before this. I wiped out Windows 7 from the machine and installed Natty beta 2. I am loving the new interface overall but it seems like the battery only lasts about 2 1/2 hours max now. I have Lucid on my other laptop (much older, albeit with a smaller screen) and I can still get 4-5 hours of battery life out of it.

Will this be fixed in the official release?

Beans

You should never expect the same battery life in Linux that you have on Windows. OEM's write crappy ACPI implementations and then write the corrective quirks into the Windows drivers. C'est la vie..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

My problem was a little different, Windows 7 gave me an hour and a half. Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 gave me four hours, but 11.04 gives me an hour and a half as well. =\

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123