Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery life on laptops in Natty 11.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Battery life on laptops in Natty 11.04

Quote Originally Posted by phibxr View Post
    If you were running without compiz effects before, you've most likely got your battery drain right there.

Dual booting several versions of Ubuntu, Natty drains the least battery with effects enabled here, thought significantly more than with effects disabled.
    That must be some kind of bug right? Without compiz it should be better.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Toz View Post
    That is very interesting. I thought I noticed a heat difference on my laptop.
    Dan
    I wish my computer would do what I wanted it to do instead of what I told it to do.

Beans

Yep. I've definitely noticed a battery drain and higher temps. Looks like it's a major bug in the 2.6.38 and 2.6.39 kernels

Phoronix has another article on it out today, in addition to the one posted above.

This is the prequel to Mobile Users Beware: Linux Has Major Power Regression and Uff Da! The Linux Power Bug Even More Mysterious. It was written in advance of tracking down the issue to a matter in the upstream Linux kernel. Though as the Phoronix Test Suite stack is presently bisecting and analyzing the kernel during the period in question (Linux 2.6.37 to 2.6.38 ), this article is being published now and hopefully on Easter Sunday or Monday the actual offending commit will be known along with much more information. This bug has also now been confirmed independent of Phoronix by at least six separate parties that I'm aware of, with reports of Natty either consuming excessive power or a very significant increase in heat output compared to Ubuntu 10.10. These independent reports have occurred on a range of hardware -- including desktops. There is also at least one bug report on the matter for Ubuntu 11.04.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ty_power&num=1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I came to natty during the last alpha and at the beginning I think this may have been the case for me but now I don't. I have a screenlet that shows CPU usage and both cores are usually at very low usage, under 5%. Who knows, my GPU may be different but if so I can't tell it by performance or battery life. My battery life is the same as with maverick and my performance better I believe. I don't have any good test data to back this up.

The link above doesn't show the kind of change described, the testing showed up to 26% shorter battery life. I think y'all may need to look deeper.
    Jim
    Toshiba Satellite L505-S6946
    Precise, Fedora, Kororaa, Bodhi

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemist View Post
    I came to natty during the last alpha and at the beginning I think this may have been the case for me but now I don't. I have a screenlet that shows CPU usage and both cores are usually at very low usage, under 5%. Who knows, my GPU may be different but if so I can't tell it by performance or battery life. My battery life is the same as with maverick and my performance better I believe. I don't have any good test data to back this up.

The link above doesn't show the kind of change described, the testing showed up to 26% shorter battery life. I think y'all may need to look deeper.
    I'm not noticing higher CPU or RAM usage, compared to 10.10 or Mint 10, but I've still noticed a shortened battery life. It's a 12-cell lithium ion that's about 1 year old, and I'm getting significantly less life out of each charge since I switched to the 2.6.38 kernel.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Have any of you used powertop to optimize your battery usage?

I found the bug report that Phoronix is referencing. If you look at the powertop metrics there are all kinds of things running in the background like Chromium, WIFI, touchpad / keyboard.

Of course it's registering over 500 wakeups per second..

http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...105#post201105

https://launchpadlibrarian.net/69300044/hardcopy.0

Like Cariboo said, powertop should be used (or a utility like Jupiter that applies common powertop recommendations automatically).

This is growing way out of proportion and it isn't even an issue (IMHO).
    [ Fuduntu.org ] - [ Fuduntu Forum ] - [ Fuduntu Blog ] - [ Fuduntu Wiki ]

For a classic desktop with the latest apps, get Fuduntu!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fuduntu View Post
    I found the bug report that Phoronix is referencing. If you look at the powertop metrics there are all kinds of things running in the background like Chromium, WIFI, touchpad / keyboard.

Of course it's registering over 500 wakeups per second..

http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...105#post201105

https://launchpadlibrarian.net/69300044/hardcopy.0

Like Cariboo said, powertop should be used (or a utility like Jupiter that applies common powertop recommendations automatically).

This is growing way out of proportion and it isn't even an issue (IMHO).
    To be clear, that bug report isn't from me but James Fergusson, a Canonical engineer. I can't speak for his wakeup results, but I can tell you that a very real problem does exist with 2.6.38+.

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    To be clear, that bug report isn't from me but James Fergusson, a Canonical engineer. I can't speak for his wakeup results, but I can tell you that a very real problem does exist with 2.6.38+.
    Can you point to a real reference of the bug so it can be verified?

I am seeing less than 150 wakeups per second on battery with 2.6.38, 2.6.38.3, and 2.6.38.4 on multiple machines..
    [ Fuduntu.org ] - [ Fuduntu Forum ] - [ Fuduntu Blog ] - [ Fuduntu Wiki ]

For a classic desktop with the latest apps, get Fuduntu!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast