Thread: shutdown and restart hang if CIFS filesystem mounted

Beans

shutdown and restart hang if CIFS filesystem mounted

My fstab file contains 2 nfs mounts and 1 cifs mount. If I automount the cifs filesystem as in the attached fstab, an attempt to shutdown or reboot hangs requiring power cycle | power button held >5 seconds.
    If I use noauto AND do not have done a sudo mount, i.e., df does not indicate the CIFS filesystem (/mnt/sharon-work) then either shutdown or reboot takes about 15 seconds. If the CIFS filesystem is mounted, however, the system hangs indefinitely. Note, I have tweaked the user and passwords in the attached copies of fstab.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: shutdown and restart hang if CIFS filesystem mounted

Do you use wifi? I've always had this problem with my laptop. I always thought the problem is that the wifi disconnects prior to dismounting the network shares and it ends up having a communication problem. As a result, linux can't properly dismount network shares and it hangs. My desktop computers have never had this problem, being connected by ethernet.

I'm not 100% positive on this, but no one had responded to your question, so hopefully this sheds some light on the subject. I've never really bothered to devise a workaround. I just run 'sudo umount -a' before before i shutdown and it turns off promptly.

Beans

Yes, I am using wifi. This is an hp mini 210-1010NR netbook. It multi boots Mint 10, Mint LMDE, Windows 7 and Natty. I have also had fuduntu on it (in the partition that now has Natty). None of the other linux versions have had the problem. At first I thought it might have been the nfs mounts, but using noatuo in fstab and making sure that the 2 nfs mounts were not mounted still had the problem. Using noauto and mount/umount on the CIFS mount enables or disables the hang on shutdown. If I could figure out how to get the automounter to work on the CIFS mount I would try that, however, I have been unsuccessful (anything I try hangs at the first mount access). I can get the NFS mounts to automount, but not the CIFS mount. If I have any luck on the CIFS mount today, I will report back as to whether that cured the issue or not. I have attached the auto.master and the auto.nfs files. I am using the STA driver for wifi and wpa-2 psk. I have left it at wpa-2 psk because I am running on an active home wireless network and my spouse is doing work on it with a windows machine, which I want to keep isolated/private. I will hook up this netbook on my wired netbook later this morning and repeat the experiment reporting back on whether it hangs or not.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

I tried the wired versus wireless experiment. It hangs with wireless (screenshot2) and does not with wired (screenshot1).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Perhaps you're experiencing this age-old bug?
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ba/+bug/211631

Sounds like what you are describing. Been there myself and gave up on cifs a while back for this and performance reasons. nfs and gvfs are much speedier with less headaches.

Beans

Unhappy Re: shutdown and restart hang if CIFS filesystem mounted

Good insight - yes this does appear to be exactly the referenced bug that now apparently has been present through lots of releases over 3 years and is clearly there in the about (tomorrow) to be released 11.04.

Good Grief.

Beans

For everyone's 'what it's worth department'. The same netbook on the same network with essentially the same fstab (at least for nfs and cifs mounts) on Linux Mint 10 (Gnome) shuts down just fine with the CIFS filesystem mounted. See attached screenshot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Interesting. I figured Linux Mint would most likely contain the same issue.

But yeah, I remember finding that bug report a long time ago. I've literally been waiting 3 years for them to fix this, but I'm no longer holding out hope. It seems like a rather important bug for them to ignore. I would have thought that auto-mounting/dismounting network folders with CIFS would be a commonly used feature. I'm thinking of just switching to NFS like tekstr1der mentioned.

Beans

If you really really want to automount the remote samba share and can live with a mount point in a very unusual place then I would suggest taking it out of fstab and using this instead:
    Code:
    gvfs-mount smb://192.168.1.100/work
    If you run that command from a terminal it will mount the remote share to:
    /home/your-user-name/.gvfs/work on 192.168.1.100
    It's in a hidden directory as you can see but you could create a symlink to the desired folder:
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /home/your-user-name/.gvfs/"work on 192.168.1.100" /mnt/sharon-work
    gvfs works in userspace so when you shut down, the user is logged off ( and the mount is unmounted ) before the rest of the fstab mounts are unmounted and before the network is brought down.

Anyway if you can live with all that you have two choices:

[1] Put the gvfs-mount command in your start up applications, Or

[2] Use gigolo: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...16&postcount=3

Gigolo has a couple of advantages:

- It's a GUI ( if you think that's an advantage )
    - It has a far more sophisticated method of automounting in that it will poll the network at user specified intervals and mount only when the remote box is up and running and the share is available.
    Last edited by Morbius1; April 28th, 2011 at 12:08 PM.