Thread: Owners Manuals

Beans

Owners Manuals

I'm looking for instructions for, as of right now, 2 programs, the first is descriptions of what all the Terminal commands do exactly. I pressed TAB TAB and got a full list of commands but thats not much good if I don't know what all of them actually do?

The other program I'd like detailed instructions for is Compiz, this program's got a ton of settings and a lot I have no clue what they do because the descriptions are so very vague, is there a owners manual with in depth descriptions of each setting?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Owners Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by DGINSD View Post
    I'm looking for instructions for, as of right now, 2 programs, the first is descriptions of what all the Terminal commands do exactly. I pressed TAB TAB and got a full list of commands but thats not much good if I don't know what all of them actually do?

The other program I'd like detailed instructions for is Compiz, this program's got a ton of settings and a lot I have no clue what they do because the descriptions are so very vague, is there a owners manual with in depth descriptions of each setting?
    Generally you can use the man command to view such things, for example:

Code:
    man compiz

Beans
    Hidden!

...what all the Terminal commands do exactly.
    ......I'd like detailed instructions for is Compiz?
    Terminal Commands;
    http://oreilly.com/linux/command-directory/
    This kinda old, but may still help;
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=73885

Compiz;
    http://wiki.compiz.org/
    Last edited by Niedzwiedz; March 31st, 2011 at 03:58 PM.
    I never lie, but, what I say, may not always be true! Store Laptop; HP G60-445DX. Home_brew Desktop Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe,AMD64 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM. Others!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    Generally you can use the man command to view such things, for example:

Code:
    man compiz
    Excellent, thank you sir. Does that work for the terminal as well or whats it called "BASH Shell"?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Excellent, thank you sir. Does that work for the terminal as well or whats it called "BASH Shell"?
    Yup, that should work in your shell.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you're not using the GUI options? Under Preferences, it would be listed as CompizConfig Settings Manager; I can't recall if it's installed by default.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    Yup, that should work in your shell.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you're not using the GUI options? Under Preferences, it would be listed as CompizConfig Settings Manager; I can't recall if it's installed by default.
    Oh I guess I didn't compose my question clearly and maybe got what was intended as 2 subjects mixed together.

For Compiz I do use the GUI my specific questions regaurding Compiz is basically I'd like find detailed descriptions of individual Compiz settings and functions.

My question regaurding Teminal is where can I get descriptions of the functions of individual terminal commands. For example if you press tab twice in Terminal a list of available commands are generatetd, I'd like descriptions of what each of these commands do.

Beans

man terminalcommand

For example, 'man date'
    or , 'man ls'
    or 'man sort'

Though you might do better simply looking through a search engine for a bash tuorial. A plethora are available on the web, and they are much easier to understand than hundreds of man pages.