Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding Program to Launcher in Ubuntu 10.10

Beans

Adding Program to Launcher in Ubuntu 10.10

Hi,

I have just completed a clean install of Ubuntu 10.10 on my Acer Aspire Netbook. The first program I installed was WINE and then I installed "Spotify for Windows". All works well, but I need to start it by opening a terminal and typing - Wine "C:\Program Files\Spotify\Spotify.exe" which is a little cumbersome.

I want to add a shortcut to the launcher but I cannot find a way to do this. I have found a "Main Menu" option in Applications, but the options and items in there don't seem to correspond to the launcher in any way.

Is there a way of adding something to the launcher or to get the main menu to display so I can customize it from the Main Menu utility.

Thanks
    Steve

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Adding Program to Launcher in Ubuntu 10.10

Good Evening

After a bit of trial and error, it seems that, when a program is started, a program icon appears in the vertical (left side) quick launcher area.

Right click the new icon and select "Keep in launcher"

Kind regards

Beans

Thanks for the response. I have tried this and it does work with Terminal and others. I am trying to do this with Spotify which is running under Wine, but I cannot get Spotify to stay in the launcher -- just Wine stays there and it errors when I click on it.

The interface seems a backword step ... it is less cluttered, but it appears to have lost some basic functionality which is required. On the previous version, there was a favourites and it was easy to add to the favourites by right clicking on the icon.

The Main Menu configuration is still there and Spotify is part of the configuration. Is there any way of switching it back on so it is displayed?

Thanks
    Steve

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Good morning

I do not use Wine so I regret that I am unable to help with this difficulty.

Hopefully somebody else may be able to offer advice.

On a general note, I agree the the new interface on the Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook OS is challenging. I intend to persevere but perhaps it just needs day to day use to become comfortable with it.

By the way, I expect that you can still boot into the usual Gnome interface (desktop edition), where you may be able to park your Wine and Spotify quick launchers.

Kind regards

Beans

Hi,
    I noticed that when running terminal server in fullscreen mode, the program launcher invisibly stays on top and makes it impossible to use anything to the left on the remote desktop fullscreen.

It would be really great if someone clever knew of a way to customize the program launcher. Reordering the items would be nice too.
    Last edited by baskvald; October 16th, 2010 at 01:39 PM.

Beans

HI,

Tried adding the aplication Gramps to the launcher in ubuntu netbook remix 10.10. There is no menu that will let me keep it there once the program is running. If I close the program it goes away.

Reckon it's a bug?

Beans

Finally found a workaround for the "how-to-restart-wine-apps-in-Unity" problem - I had the same prob with Spotify

* When installing spotify, make sure Wine adds a shortcut on the Desktop.

* Launch spotify using that shortcut. Even this seems hard to do in Unity...
    ** Either directly launch nautilus (I do that command line since I can't figure out how to do it using Unity). Navigate to Desktop and click on Spotify.
    ** Or browse to any folder using the Unity interface (Files and Folders, choose eg. Video). Then click on the folder symbol up in the right corner, nautilus will then be launched. Navigate to Desktop and click on Spotify.
    ** Don't attempt to execute the spotify shortcut command line, that'll only give you the same darn wine icon in your Launcher.

* Now you'll finally have a Spotify symbol in the Launcher.... right click on it and add

I assume the same can be applied for any wine app.

Unity will probably be great one day, but to me today it feels like beta stuff.

br,
    Jens

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AndresM View Post
    HI,

Tried adding the aplication Gramps to the launcher in ubuntu netbook remix 10.10. There is no menu that will let me keep it there once the program is running. If I close the program it goes away.

Reckon it's a bug?
    When the icon appears on the launcher to your left after opening the program, simply right click and select "keep in launcher". Right click again to "remove from launcher"

And after doing this for a few test icons, it appears to put them in alphabetical order.
    Last edited by jgcamp99; October 26th, 2010 at 01:22 AM.

Beans

Hi,

It seems that you can reorder the items in the launcher side bar by drag-and-drop. You have to click on the icon and initially pull it to the right before dragging it up or down.
    Hope that helps.

Beans

Hi, with Ubuntu 10.04 we were able to add to the main menu/favorite/launcher the different varieties of web apps that we could create with Prism . However, currently if you launch any prism-app from the shortcut that gets created at the desktop folder, the launcher will display the boring prism icon (instead of the user selected icon) then doing a right click on it and selecting to keep it in the launcher will keep prism and not the prism web app.

Is there a way to add the actual prism-created-web-apps (which are basically shortcuts of different websites but convenient since they run independently) to the launcher?

And last, I like running grooveshark-desktop, which I think runs out of adobe air. The launcher does display the correct icon for groovershark, but right clicking on this icon does not display an option to keep it in the launcher. Any help with this also? Thank you in advance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast