Thread: Setting chapters (menu items) points in a DVD video?

Beans

Setting chapters (menu items) points in a DVD video?

I like to make DVD videos with a menu so I can jump in at arbitrary points. Most DVD authoring software automatically places a chapter or menu item at the beginning of each imported file.

That's nice, but what if you have a long file and want to place chapter marks at arbitrary points on the timeline? Do you know of software that allows this and makes it easy?

And I shouldn't have to ask this, but is the software otherwise good enough to recommend?

Beans

Re: Setting chapters (menu items) points in a DVD video?

DeVeDe will set chapter marks every N minutes. See the "Advanced Options" in the "File Properties" dialog.

Unfortunately that approach doesn't let you link the chapter marks to the content of the video. Perhaps something like mencoder or mkvtoolnix can let you create the marks manually.

Beans

Re: Setting chapters (menu items) points in a DVD video?

Interesting. I'll have to explore that in DeVeDe. I did notice that the "forward" button ( >>| ) jumps forward to the next clip, and I think I remember 5-minute intervals, but I wasn't aware that those markers were added by DeVeDe. Thanks, that's good to know. Unfortunately, not being able to attach a menu item is sort of limiting.

DeVeDe has another problem, in that the fast forward button doesn't work right on the DVD videos.