Thread: My own log

Beans

My own log

Hello, I need to make my own log file:

date - time
    commands
    date - time
    commands

When I start new working session in terminal it must append new 'date - time' line to log file. Each command must be written to log file.

Can you help me with this?

Beans

Re: My own log

Probably not the best forum for this

Try using "script".

Code:
    script mylog.log
    I guess you could add this to .bashrc to run when opening a shell, and use the -a option to append instead of replacing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

and configure logrotate to rotate/compress the log.
    I am infallible, you should know that by now.
    "My favorite language is call STAR. It's extremely concise. It has exactly one verb '*', which does exactly what I want at the moment." --Larry Wall
    (02:15:31 PM) ***TimToady and snake oil go way back...
    42 lines of Perl - SHI - Home Site

Beans

It is a task for Lab at the university. I need to use ~/.bashrc file. I think that I can use this string in the ~/.bashrc to start session in log file: date +%D >> mylog.log

After this I think I need to catch every command and append it to the mylog.log. But how can I catch commands after I type Enter?

I have tried to use "script" but I need to log only commands without output.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Acruax View Post
    It is a task for Lab at the university. I need to use ~/.bashrc file. I think that I can use this string in the ~/.bashrc to start session in log file: date +%D >> mylog.log

After this I think I need to catch every command and append it to the mylog.log. But how can I catch commands after I type Enter?

I have tried to use "script" but I need to log only commands without output.
    write your own shell.
    I am infallible, you should know that by now.
    "My favorite language is call STAR. It's extremely concise. It has exactly one verb '*', which does exactly what I want at the moment." --Larry Wall
    (02:15:31 PM) ***TimToady and snake oil go way back...
    42 lines of Perl - SHI - Home Site