Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Program for graphing linear equations and quadratics?

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Program for graphing linear equations and quadratics?

. What I am looking for is a graphing program that can graph linear, circle, and quadratic equations EXACTLY as they are written. I have tried KMPlot and QTOctave and they aren't what I'm looking for. One thing I like to do when teaching math is to have my students demonstrate their graphing on the board over a graph projected by my computer. then, I want the students to input the equation into a program to check their work. Is there anything out there that will let me do that? Or is there a way I can tweak the aforementioned programs to do what I want?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Program for graphing linear equations and quadratics?

did you see this in the forums?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1628660

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

One I've heard of is gnuplot, however I haven't used it before so can't tell you anything about it other than it's name.
    Server: 2.2GHz Athlon 64; 4GB; 2TB; Debian 5 x64
    LividEmperor: 3.3GHz i5 2500K; 8GB; 660GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x64 + Windows 7 x64
    Netbook1: 1.6GHz Atom; 2GB; 160GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x86
    Dogeatdog: 3GHz Phenom II; 3GB; 1TB; Windows 7 x64

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, nothing there is student-friendly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Kmplot. The syntax is super easy, it supports several different graphing modes like cartesian, parametric, etc. and will show derivatives at the click of a check box. It's in the repositories. Because it's a KDE program, it sometimes might act a little strange under Gnome, but the only thing I have encountered so far is that it says it crashed when the reality is that you closed out of the program.

Anyway, Kmplot is, IMHO, by far the best graphing application available to Ubuntu users. It also prints graphs so that you can include them in presentations, etc...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nickleboyblue View Post
    Kmplot. The syntax is super easy, it supports several different graphing modes like cartesian, parametric, etc. and will show derivatives at the click of a check box. It's in the repositories. Because it's a KDE program, it sometimes might act a little strange under Gnome, but the only thing I have encountered so far is that it says it crashed when the reality is that you closed out of the program.

Anyway, Kmplot is, IMHO, by far the best graphing application available to Ubuntu users. It also prints graphs so that you can include them in presentations, etc...
    I have this one. And while it can graph in slope-intercept form and in quadratic form, it just dies in linear form (ax+by=c). I don;t suppose you know a way around that, do you?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by wangsuda View Post
    I have this one. And while it can graph in slope-intercept form and in quadratic form, it just dies in linear form (ax+by=c). I don;t suppose you know a way around that, do you?
    Why not just rearrange it to y = (c - ax) ÷ b ?

Or was that a stupid question?
    Server: 2.2GHz Athlon 64; 4GB; 2TB; Debian 5 x64
    LividEmperor: 3.3GHz i5 2500K; 8GB; 660GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x64 + Windows 7 x64
    Netbook1: 1.6GHz Atom; 2GB; 160GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x86
    Dogeatdog: 3GHz Phenom II; 3GB; 1TB; Windows 7 x64

Beans
    Distro

Not stupid at all and that is what I've been doing. My pipe dream, however, is to have students input exactly what they are graphing, so they can see if their answer is correct or not.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

tried geogebra? Online applet works a treat.
    Macbook and Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

y = f(x). y is your dependent variable and f(x) is a function of your independent variable, x. You can call these variables whatever you like: banana = f(apples), hippos = f(pink elephants) etc. But a plotting program will demand that you have the equation in this form: dependent variable = some function of the independent variable.

Plotting "arbitrary constant = dependent variable minus some function of the dependent variable" makes very little logical sense, as the pltting program will need to rearrange the equation into the form y = f(x) in order to determine the value of y for a given value of x. (Alternatively, it will think c is the dependent variable and then get very confused.) So essentially, don't get your kids to plot c = f(x) - y; get them to do it properly!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast