Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible to update Android version using Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Possible to update Android version using Ubuntu?

A friend has an Android smartphone - LG GT45 I think - it's currently using Android version 1.6 and she wants to update to 2.1 or whatever. But she doesn't own a computer. So she came to me for help.

I only use Ubuntu, but I also have XP as a VirtualBox guest. I've installed the LG updating program, and it works fine through the handset verification stage, downloads the software; but when we get to the install stage it will only get to 4% on its progress bar then stops there. We wait and wait, it doesn't get any further, then eventually my virtual XP just freezes up.

I'd like to help her. So if there is a way to do this natively in Ubuntu, maybe we can get her Android version updated. Anyone know?
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Possible to update Android version using Ubuntu?

Bump
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans

Maybe Unrevoked will do the trick? I've never used it because I have a BlackBerry.

I know with my BB I can't use VB because it loses connectivity at a certain point in syncing the device

~Caboose
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No, it looks like Unrevoked works only with a small selection of phones; and my friend's LG isn't one of them.

Can anyone help? Surely a Linux-based OS like Android can be upgraded using a computer running Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I am not too familiar with updating androids, but...

Be careful: Many android phones are locked into their version for hardware reasons. It also has something to do with which applications they can run and such.

It may cause much instability to do such an upgrade.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by earthmeLon View Post
    I am not too familiar with updating androids, but...

Be careful: Many android phones are locked into their version for hardware reasons. It also has something to do with which applications they can run and such.

It may cause much instability to do such an upgrade.
    I get what you're saying; but the fact that LG has created an upgrading tool says to me that upgrading Android version is possible.

My problem is that the LG upgrading software is available only as an .exe file, and I don't have a Windows-running computer. So I need an upgrading tool that will work with Linux (Ubuntu preferably, but I do know how to compile software, or how to use alien to convert a .rpm into a .deb). So I really really need a link to a Linux version of the tool. Anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Don't suppose you're able to actually upgrade it on the phone?

On stock Android you go to something like Setting>About Phone then somewhere in there should be a Software Update option, with a "Check now2 button on the bottom of the menu. Though that might be for HTC Android phones since I've only had Android on a HTC.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Find out the actual model of the phone. Google doesn't know what a LG GT45 is.

I would probably
    1) Get root
    2) Install rom manager
    3) Install boot loader
    4) Load custom ROM from boot loader

If you want to stick with stock, you will need to use their tool and need to do it from Windows
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

My suggestion would be to run a windows virtualization under VirtualBox or VMWare. There is good USB and such support in it. You could then run it from within that virtualization?

However you do it, be sure to let us know

Beans

I went through the same process a while back trying to update an HTC Legend with Froyo. The update software did not work properly using Windows 7 in VirtualBox and I will have to admit that I eventually found a full Windows 7 installation and upgraded from there . Froyo was definitely worth the effort though, pity I failed to get Linux to do the job though...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast