Thread: Wireless adapters for Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Wireless adapters for Linux?

Hey all, so im wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a wireless adapter to use in Ubuntu 12.10/13.04. Seeing that my Edimax doesnt like the 3.8 kernal im hoping to find one that does.
    Maybe I can buy one this weekend, so I can clear up all this "cluster fk" of wires XD.

Thanks.
    Cheers!
    Phenom II X4 955 Denab BE OC 3.8mhz | 8gig G.Skill 1600 RAM | Corsair 750 PSU | XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 x2 | 1TB WD Black HDD Win7 | 160gig WD HDD Ubuntu 13.10
    --Feel like your question has been answered, mark as SOLVED!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Wireless adapters for Linux?

I also looked for wireless adapters just recently to upgrade a few remaining g laptops to n. I went with Intel 5100 (dual band, 2 antenna support, 1T2R). A simple hardware upgrade and reboot saw everything work right away. It uses the iwlwifi drivers. I'm still in the testing/evaluation phase to make sure everything is stable, so keep that in mind. In any case, I have heard that the 5100/5300 adapters are well supported.

You might want to consider what you need. Is it for a desktop or laptop? Are 2 antennas sufficient? Do you need one that uses 3? Single band, or dual band? etc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by fizikz View Post
    I also looked for wireless adapters just recently to upgrade a few remaining g laptops to n. I went with Intel 5100 (dual band, 2 antenna support, 1T2R). A simple hardware upgrade and reboot saw everything work right away. It uses the iwlwifi drivers. I'm still in the testing/evaluation phase to make sure everything is stable, so keep that in mind. In any case, I have heard that the 5100/5300 adapters are well supported.

You might want to consider what you need. Is it for a desktop or laptop? Are 2 antennas sufficient? Do you need one that uses 3? Single band, or dual band? etc
    Hey, sorry I didn't clarify that well. It is a desktop/dual boot win7 & 13.04 and Ill have to use a USB adapter, since my graphics cards cover up all my PCI slots. Even a mini wifi and dual band would be cool.
    Cheers!
    Phenom II X4 955 Denab BE OC 3.8mhz | 8gig G.Skill 1600 RAM | Corsair 750 PSU | XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 x2 | 1TB WD Black HDD Win7 | 160gig WD HDD Ubuntu 13.10
    --Feel like your question has been answered, mark as SOLVED!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Sorry, I'm not familiar with wireless adapters for desktops.

I know this is not an answer to your question, but I would suggest sticking to wires for desktops and stationary devices, if at all possible. Their performance will be far better than any wireless, and perhaps more importantly, much more stable. If passing ethernet cabling is really a big inconvenience, you could try a pair of powerline adapters (HomePlug AV) to pass an ethernet connection over your home's electrical wiring.