Thread: ISO file will not delete

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ISO file will not delete

Posted in the Mint forum too but it looks like no one is on that forum tonight

Well he title is not technically true. It deletes just fine. It's just that it shows up in /home/Jamers/Desktop again, in less than a second.

I was moving some pictures off a an old DVD and decided to place them on my desktop. That's where I noticed an iso file for Ubuntu there. I deleted it because I did not want it there, and already have a copy on disc. It deleted just fine then reappeared on the desktop. I tried deleting by using rm ubuntu-10.04.2-desktop-i386.iso and sudo rm ubuntu-10.04.2-desktop-i386.iso it goes away then reappeaars. I renamed it just i386.iso and deleted it. It comes back as ubuntu-10.04.2-desktop-i386.iso. When I look in trash there is over 4 GB of this iso file in there. I own the file and the permissions of the file, when it re-appears is -rw-r--r-- so that's what 644? I can do anything I want to the file (except permanently remove it).

Please help me get rid of the thing once and for all

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: ISO file will not delete

Try opening up your file browser and using SHIFT-DEL to remove it. That will bypass the Trash Bin if that is what is causing the problem. You could try doing the same with files in your Trash bin (~/.local/share/Trash).

Even though you said you owned them, you might also try opening the browser as root and using the same SHIFT-DEL technique. Also check root's trash bin at /root/.local/share/Trash/files.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for the quick reply!

The methods listed did not work. There is an option on right click called delete and it's shift + del I did also try doing a physical shift + delete. The file deletes just fine, then it is recreated. If I go to the trash folder ~/.local/share/Trash there are several copies in there. Under root the /root/.local/share/Trash/files directory is empty.

I can add and delete any other file into the folder without any issues.

Is there a file I can tail or some log I can view to see what is happening when I delete the file?

Is it mounted ?
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You know what, I am amazed. My PC is up and running 24x7 and there was a torrent for the ISO running. That was started at the beginning of the month and the application, Kget, was not showing up in my application bar. Once I canceled the download the file deleted with no issues