Thread: corrupted low memory

Beans

Exclamation corrupted low memory

I installed ubuntu 10.10 on my hp dv7 windows seven labtop. I installed ubuntu from within windows. It worked for a couple of months and then it came up with the message- corrupted low memory ffff880000006598. I have 4g of memory on my labtop and over 350gb of space free so this doesnt make sense. Please help

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: corrupted low memory

First off, try running memtest86 (should be one of the options when you boot), just to verify that you're not dealing with an actual hardware issue (memory stick going bad).

Assuming that reports no problems, then you may have this bug. The second to the last message in that thread provides a possible workaround to get the machine booting again.

Lloyd B.
    Don't tell me to get a life.
    I had one once.
    It sucked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: corrupted low memory

Quote Originally Posted by cody94 View Post
    I installed ubuntu 10.10 on my hp dv7 windows seven labtop. I installed ubuntu from within windows. It worked for a couple of months and then it came up with the message- corrupted low memory ffff880000006598. I have 4g of memory on my labtop and over 350gb of space free so this doesnt make sense. Please help
    It does make sense. "Low memory" is the name of a portion of your memory, not a description of how much memory is inside your computer. Therefore, "Corrupted low memory" is saying that the "low memory" portion of your RAM is corrupted.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.