Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does copy paste suck so bad in Ubuntu and some other things?

Beans

Why does copy paste suck so bad in Ubuntu and some other things?

I recently switch from Windows 7 to Ubuntu, because in Windows, I have bad graphical errors (looks like hardware errors, but it doesn't happen in Ubuntu).

BUT Why is copy/paste functions SO bugged, this is something you just expect to work?

Sometime I cannot copy/paste between different windows and programs (including Firefox, gedit and so on) and I have to restart the machine in order to get copy/pasting working again.

at work, I'm using a docking station, and there for I have different screen resolutions, but EVERY time I dock my computer, in the morning, the first thing I have to do, is to rearrange, my applets because they are kinda placed randomly at my panels.

flash in fullscreen seems also to be very bugged, some times the screen just freezes, and when I use my sound control buttons on my laptop, the image freezes too, and i have to exit fullscreen and enable it again.

I think it's because of all these small things that simply just doesn't work or is bugged for some people, and that many programs just have a very awful look, that Linux is not that of a great success on the desktop.

and I really miss the behavior from PuTTY @ Windows where you can just mark text, and it is in your clipboard, is there any way, to enable same behavior in the terminal in Ubuntu?

But everything doesn't have to be errors, I like to tell that I LOVE that I don't have to wait 5-10 minutes before I can use my computer, when I cold boot it. GPMC / mpd is also lovely and I can tell you that HPLib makes it easier to install a printer in Linux and take less of a time than on Windows using their own Windows drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Why does copy paste suck so bad in Ubuntu and some other things?

Quote Originally Posted by inckiekage View Post
    I recently switch from Windows 7 to Ubuntu, because in Windows, I have bad graphical errors (looks like hardware errors, but it doesn't happen in Ubuntu).

BUT Why is copy/paste functions SO bugged, this is something you just expect to work?

Sometime I cannot copy/paste between different windows and programs (including Firefox, gedit and so on) and I have to restart the machine in order to get copy/pasting working again.

at work, I'm using a docking station, and there for I have different screen resolutions, but EVERY time I dock my computer, in the morning, the first thing I have to do, is to rearrange, my applets because they are kinda placed randomly at my panels.

flash in fullscreen seems also to be very bugged, some times the screen just freezes, and when I use my sound control buttons on my laptop, the image freezes too, and i have to exit fullscreen and enable it again.

I think it's because of all these small things that simply just doesn't work or is bugged for some people, and that many programs just have a very awful look, that Linux is not that of a great success on the desktop.

and I really miss the behavior from PuTTY @ Windows where you can just mark text, and it is in your clipboard, is there any way, to enable same behavior in the terminal in Ubuntu?

But everything doesn't have to be errors, I like to tell that I LOVE that I don't have to wait 5-10 minutes before I can use my computer, when I cold boot it. GPMC / mpd is also lovely and I can tell you that HPLib makes it easier to install a printer in Linux and take less of a time than on Windows using their own Windows drivers
    Umm, you do know that you can just select text with your mouse and then middle click to paste it right?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

...to rearrange, my applets because they are kinda placed randomly at my panels...
    Try locking the panel

Alt+F2
    gconf-editor

Navigate to apps>panel>global

got to the locked_down key and enable it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

This already works in every Linux application, the only difference is that it's a separate method from copy/paste, and doesn't use a clipboard (so it only copies stuff directly from one place to another, without storing it in clipboard in between).

Just highlight any text anywhere, and middle-click where you want to paste it.

What comes to your other copypaste, are you perhaps closing the program where you are copying from before you paste? That would explain your issues. If you want to be able to do that you should install some clipbaord manager...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forestpiskie View Post
    Try locking the panel

Alt+F2
    gconf-editor

Navigate to apps>panel>global

got to the locked_down key and enable it.
    been there, done that , dont work.

Quote Originally Posted by slackthumbz
    Umm, you do know that you can just select text with your mouse and then middle click to paste it right?
    Yep, I know that, but since there is no middle button on my laptop, iIhave to press left/right click at the same time, not a very good key combo IMO.

I just miss the mark text, to get it in clipboard, and ctrl+v to insert or right click in putty. i works really well, and im used to it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

There are also several helper copy/paste apps that get around the limitations that you have mentioned.

GNU/Linux is not perfect.

But I use it.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    There are also several helper copy/paste apps that get around the limitations that you have mentioned.

But I use it.
    +1 Glipper is the app I use makes up for all the complaints I had about copy/paste.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post

But I use it.
    I know, either is Windows, OSX or any other operating systems, take this as feedback

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I use parcellite for my clipboard manager, which I began to use a long time ago when glipper had lots of bugs, and would keep crashing.

Parcellite lets you choose if you want to use just the standard Ctrl+C for copy, or Ctrl+C and Primary (selected text). I find using the two together far to difficult to manage, as it puts too much junk in the clipboard manager, particularly if you select text a lot, but I do make enormous use of the "select and middle click to paste" option, which never appeared in the versions of windows I used, or if it did, I never knew about it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Ahh! I think I can help you! I had a similar problem where flash would freeze in full screen. At first I thought it was my video card, but I realized that other types of videos in full screen worked just fine. Anyway, enough of my rambling... the solution was found by someone here.

Code:
    sudo mkdir /etc/adobe 
    sudo su 
    sudo echo \"OverrideGPUValidation = 1\" >> /etc/adobe/mms.cfg
    Mint 17.3 Cinnamon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast