Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Loading Ubuntu sharing disc with Windows 7 - no option showing

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Loading Ubuntu sharing disc with Windows 7 - no option showing

I have just got a new Compaq/HP netbook with Windows 7, and I have downloaded Ubuntu 10.10 (using my main Ubuntu system) and put it on a USB stick to load it "alongside" Windows.

At install phase on the new machine there is no option shown to add Ubuntu alongside Windows; only two options are shown, to erase the disk entirely and load Ubuntu, or the advanced option to select the disk partitioning manually.

I don't want to do either of these!

What happened to the third option, share the disk between operating systems?

I have used Linux for years, and don't want Windows, but it is safer to be able to boot up Windows for some things (testing ADSL line for Orange France, for instance).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Loading Ubuntu sharing disc with Windows 7 - no option showing

Have you any unallocated space for Ubuntu to install into? It won't install to a NTFS partition.
    Important!!!
    How many primary partitions are in use already? 4 is the maximum.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

kansasnoob points out the bug or poor explanation they have on the install screen. Do not use either buttons. It is really best to us manual install and manually create your partitions as then you have total control over sizes and formats.

Some examples of installs and issues:
    Issues on dual boot in same drive:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1622388
    From kansasnoob:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...6&postcount=15
    Trust me here! If you choose either "Use entire partition" or "Use entire disc" you are not likely to end up with "Alongside" anything! You will most likely lose the OS and any data contained therein!
    Installs:
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p22.html
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Insta...0-160966.shtml
    Maverick partition by hand to use free space:
    http://sites.google.com/site/easylin...t/partitioning
    http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2010/10/12...tioning-guide/
    http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubuntu-maverick.html
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks to Quackers and oldfred - I will look at your suggestions/remarks.

At present my ADSL connection is running slower than dial-up (a regular problem with Orange here in the wilds of France). As a result it will probably be next week before I can even read the posts you refer to!

Beans
    Distro

OK - I have looked at the replies and their references.

There are now specific problems with the HP Compaq netbook on which I want to install Ubuntu alongside Windows 7.

There are already 4 primary partitions on the hard disk - the maximum allowed. I can only create an extended partition by first removing one of the 4. The best candidate for removal seems to be the "HP TOOLS" fat32 partition.

Does anyone know if this will cause a problem with Windows booting?

I will ask the same question in a Win7 forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Others before you have removed that partition without problems. It seems to be used for diagnosing problems. I believe all the programs in that partition can be downloaded from HP, if needed, but they probably won't be.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I've never used an HP, but from one thread I was involved in, the HP four primary partitions went something like:

#1 - Windows 7 boot partition - ~ 200MB
    #2 - Windows 7 C: partition - huge
    #3 - Recovery Partition - ~ 14GB
    #4 - HP_TOOLS partition - ~100MB

Which means that if you delete the hp_tools partition, you'll have to shrink the C: partition to make space for an extended partition for logical partitions for Ubuntu. Which means abandoning the 100MB released by the hp_tools partition or moving the recovery partition up (which is not a good idea anyway).

Use the Disk Management utility in Windows 7 to shrink your Windows C: partition. If you use Gparted in the Ubuntu live CD, you risk making Windows unbootable. That's probably easily repaired with a W7 repair disc but best avoided. So, if you haven't done so yet, make a Windows 7 repair disc from within Windows.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Another option is to burn two sets of the Windows Recovery DVDs (whose data is in the 3rd partition) and then delete the third partition and make it your Ubuntu Extended partition.

When all four primary partitions are taken (the HP install)

First how it looks in Windows:

What it looks like in gparted off the LiveCD:

Right click on sda3 and select 'Delete':

Press the 'check' mark button to really make the change:

Right Click, on empty area, select new and create extended sda3 (Press that check mark button again...):

Create you sda5 Ubuntu partition, leave a little room for swap later (Format this ext4 - and press that check mark button again.):

Create sda6 and make it swap space:

Press the check mark button again
    Look at all those flashing lights! I'll take one!

The Ubuntu Forums - our little Global Village

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You are ready to install Ubuntu:

Select this during the install:

And you will get to here:

We will add some extra data to sda5 and sda6. With sda5 highlighted, press the [CHANGE] button:

These settings prepare the partition to be exdt4, '/'.
    Repeat the steps for the swap area (This usually set itself up OK) :

You are ready to install. Press [Install Now].

This is what the drive looks like in the 'Disk Utility' in Ubuntu after the load is complete:

The Hedge

Look at all those flashing lights! I'll take one!

The Ubuntu Forums - our little Global Village

Beans
    Distro

OK - mostly now done, but with some problems.

First of all, thanks to all the replies - in fact, since I lost my Broadband connection for most of the day, I had not seen them before I managed to load Ubuntu.

I deleted the HP_TOOLS partition (after reading up on it in several forums), and used most of the free space as the 4th primary partition to load Ubuntu.

I was warned in the load process that I hadn't allocated a swp area, so I resized the partition to leave some swap space. As the swap area does not count as a primary partition I did not have to go to Extended partitions.

The load of Ubuntu to the newly created partiton worked well, with only a slight hanging problem when it refused to allow me to specify a French keyboard - it insisted on treating it as Finnish, presumably because of finger trouble, but I had to abort the install and restart.

After installing and checking the Ubuntu and Windows 7 - both looked fine, there have now appeared a few problems.

1. The Windows partitions appear in the Ubuntu File Manager, and I don't see how to stop anyone from fooling around with them. As normally the system will be used for Ubuntu I would like to ensure that the Windows partitions cannot be reformatted - one option in File Manager!

2. The WiFi connection worked perfectly while trying out, and then installing Ubuntu - but as soon as the system was installed it refused to even see the Wireless network! This is still available in Windows. I have edited the Wireless connections in NetworkManager, but nothing works. The settings are exactly the same as for my main Ubuntu system (on which I am writing this post).

3. After several boots of Ubuntu and Windows, to check the installation and remove unnecessary software like Evolution, the startup screen for Ubuntu shows only the BAckground picture! No Application, System, etc - absolutely nothing but the picture! (which is not the default but one of the other supplied themes).

As a result I can now do nothing at all in Ubuntu! - not the desired result of the installation!

Any ideas appreciated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast