Thread: laptop won't power on unless plugged in

Beans

laptop won't power on unless plugged in

Well, the title pretty much says it all. My battery does hold a charge -- once I've started it, I can unplug the charger and use the laptop for a while, though I haven't tested it to see how long it holds the charge.

The laptop is gazu1. I'm wondering if this is the first sign of a battery ready to go. Anyone ever seen this before? Any ideas?

Thanks!
    -Pitt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: laptop won't power on unless plugged in

How long does it take to charge the battery? It could potentially be the charger as well.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    How long does it take to charge the battery? It could potentially be the charger as well.
    Ubuntu reports the battery is almost always at 99% or 100%. I almost never unplug it now, so it's probably always "charged."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Go ahead and boot the system up, then unplug it and test the discharge time. Also, once it's empty, charge it back up and see if that takes a particularly long time to do.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

When I unplug the machine, the screen brightness goes way down and I can't use my keyboard buttons (Fn + F9) to increase it -- I'm not sure if that additional information is at all useful to you. After 24 minutes unplugged, the laptop flicked off with no warning.

I plug it back in and boot up. The battery icon in the panel indicates the battery is charging, though it has always displayed "Laptop battery (estimating...)" instead of a percentage or an estimate of how many minutes until charged/discharged.

Aaaaaaaaaand it's now fully charged... or at least the battery charging icon is no longer in the panel. It took about 40 minutes.

Thoughts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It sounds like the battery is getting pretty old, as that system should last longer than 24 minutes on battery. I'd start with a new battery, available here:

http://www.system76.com/product_info...products_id=68
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!