Thread: Solid Tutorials Desprately Needed

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Exclamation Solid Tutorials Desprately Needed

I've been noticing that all I can find are responses to extremely specific questions about Linux when I need a solid set of tutorials.

I do not want to be forwarded to tutorials filled with glittery bonus features and unnecessary programs. I want to form a knowledge base so I can have a place to start attempting to figure out my own problems and then after I have tried on my own, ask the community site. But I don't know enough to even do that.

I honestly think I articulated that well. To help clarify what I'm getting at I'll give an example.

I could get on the site and post a question like this (which is a problem I'm actually having)

"I'm having trouble understanding the wireless function of -insert OS here- I'm running it on -insert hardware stats here- and my network card is -bla bla you get the point by now- The network is visible, I put the ssid and the wep key in the 'edit network connection' part of the 'Configure KDE Control Module' but I can't find a button to try the connection anywhere or anything like that. I need wireless functionality. The wired Internet connection worked, but I didn't even configure it - I just plugged it in and it started working."

Or I could get on a step by step tutorial and learn how to set up wireless on any computer that doesn't have particularly abnormal circumstances.

Another example of a much needed tutorial is how to install programs without using something like KpackageKit. Not a tutorial that just tells you what to do, but a tutorial that explains how and why you are doing what you are doing so you understand just how the Linux system works. I know that the process to install something is different depending on what is in it but there should be a tutorial that explains what to look for to and how to respond accordingly rather than having a thread and a full explanation for every single person who first tries to install something.

If there are tutorials like I am asking for then I believe that they should be in the "help" program so that people that cannot connect to the Internet can get their bearings with their new OS

I love Linux and I can see that it's came a long way to be more user friendly since I first came across it a few years ago, but if something so simple as the help menu was filled with more practical information necessary for independent discovery of Linux then this awesome revolution will spread like wildfire, gain respect and support from high end software developers, and multiply the community.

...Oh yeah, and free the world from the stranglehold of Microsoft and Apple.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Solid Tutorials Desprately Needed

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenoideawhatimdoing View Post
    Another example of a much needed tutorial is how to install programs without using something like KpackageKit. Not a tutorial that just tells you what to do, but a tutorial that explains how and why you are doing what you are doing so you understand just how the Linux system works. I know that the process to install something is different depending on what is in it but there should be a tutorial that explains what to look for to and how to respond accordingly rather than having a thread and a full explanation for every single person who first tries to install something.

If there are tutorials like I am asking for then I believe that they should be in the "help" program
    dunno about kubuntu, but ubuntu's main help section covers all of these themes

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Linux distributions are various packages based on linux kernel. Each of thes epackages has it's own documentation.
    For command lines you can type

man command

in terminal to get detailed description.

Ther eis a manual for ubuntu which explains the how and the what. There is also a free book found on linuxcommand.org that will explain in detail some basic commands and how they work.

there is also a forums section filled with users tutorials. there is a ubuntu wiki again fileld with community contribution.

specific problem sare never answered in tutorial. there are some solutions for bugs or workarround (usualyl found on launchpad). again these are just for specific bugs.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!

I would like to suggest:THE MANUAL
    Online version
    When you finish let me know and I've got links to others.
    Last edited by jtarin; March 24th, 2011 at 01:33 PM.
    EasyBCD.
    PrintersDatabase
    Boot Info Script: How to
    The post above and the post below suffer from the Rashomon effect!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hello ihavenoidea,

I am a fellow newbie in the same boat. I think your best bet is just find some beginner documentation and take it one step at a time. "Rome wasn't built in a day" definitely applies here.

These Ubuntu forums are a very good place to turn for help but first and foremost us newbies simply need to read, learn and above all practice.

Here is a link to a series of Docs that cover a nice wide variety of linux subjects. These include Linux Basics and Bash basics which are the two i am presently working with. One of the most important lessons I have learned early is that there's a lot to learn and doing so in a logical order is important. We have to learn basics and build upon them in order to learn Linux properly. Along with the online docs I found I also own an Ubuntu book which I find to be a very helpful reference - "Beginning Ubuntu Linux." I've provided a link to the book and to my online Linux docs. They have helped me start my Linux journey. Perhaps they will help you as well.

Book on Amazon site

Online Linux Docs

Good Luck,
    Jim (alias picman1)