Thread: managing music in an ipod

Beans

managing music in an ipod

Hi.

I have two machines running ubuntu 10.10, one which acts as a media server to which i connect with the other (laptop) using ssh.
    All of the music is on the media server and I mount it with samba on the laptop.

I want to be able to manage music in my ipod (a very old one, probably G1 or G2) but I can't seem to make it work...

When I connect it to the laptop it looks ok, and the ipod is visible in Rhythmbox but I can't add music to the ipod, not sure why, maybe because all of my music is on the server and not local?
    If I try to sync the ipod and my library it says that there's not enough disk space since the library is far bigger than the capacity of my ipod.

When connected to the server, I mount the ipod but the Rhythmbox just don't display it. I checked in the plugins and the ipod support is enabled.

Any idea how I can make it work?
    Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: managing music in an ipod

hi nitzan i would suggest gtk ipod manager

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gtkpod

also banshee

Banshee is a media management and playback application for the GNOME desktop, allowing users to import audio from CDs, search their library, create playlists of selections of their library, sync music to/from iPods and other media devices, play and manage video files and burn selections to a CD.

or use some of the one in software centre shown in the image hipo ipod looks promising too

Last edited by shantiq; March 23rd, 2011 at 08:56 PM.
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    ShanArt XmmsPurple Piper

Beans

Re: managing music in an ipod

Thanks, this application seems just about what I need.
    But, seems like my ipod has a problem, the gtk ipod says something about bad filesystem..

I'll just take it to work where there's a mac and try to restore the hd, then I'll give it another try.