Thread: Always download and install the available software from the update manager?

Beans

Always download and install the available software from the update manager?

Hello, I'm quite new to Linux and Ubuntu 10.10 and I wonder if it is good practice to always download and install the available software from the update manager or does it slows down the computer?
    Last edited by danba185; March 23rd, 2011 at 08:17 PM.

Beans

Re: Always download and install the available software from the update manager?

This is the default method, because from the Update manager you can pretty much update everything with a single click. It would be so much slower to go through each and every program one by one (= the Windows method ).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Always download and install the available software from the update manager?

Quote Originally Posted by madmax75 View Post
    This is the default method, because from the Update manager you can pretty much update everything with a single click. It would be so much slower to go through each and every program one by one (= the Windows method ).
    That isn't entirely true. Some updates are automatically selected for you (I don't recall if these are called "Recommended" or "Security" or something else), you only have to select the optional updates if you want them. That being said, that isn't what the OP is asking about.

I would go ahead an update all of the updates that are available in the Update Manager. These will contain bug fixes and I don't see how continually updating is going to make your system slower.
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?