View Poll Results: What is your favorite rss reader ?

Voters
659. You may not vote on this poll
  • knewsticker / akregator / other KDE application

55 8.35%
  • liferea

184 27.92%
  • firefox / sage

59 8.95%
  • thunderbird

38 5.77%
  • straw

5 0.76%
  • blam

9 1.37%
  • rssowl

27 4.10%
  • http://www.bloglines.com/

11 1.67%
  • other

123 18.66%
  • I don't use a rss reader

148 22.46%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: favorite rss reader

Beans

Re: favorite rss reader

i just started using Lifrea and it's OK apart from the fact it keeps opening stuff in my browser. i only started to use Liferea so i wouldn't have to use my browser

anyway, if Opera (the browser) could put feeds into folders and not just have one big menu with all the feeds next to one another then Opera would be my favourite.
    Thanks to the forums staff for your dedication and hard work
    (the admins changed my sig to that lol )

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I use two:
    knewsticker: Some news I just want to keep track of all the time. This helps with that since it scrolls the headlines on kicker.
    Akregator: Where I bundle all sites I can rss feed off. It also can show the page of every headline that is present. This makes it very nice since it becomes a webbrowser/rss feed(with knewsticker it is only a scrollbar with headlines that launches your webbrowser). Plus that it shows the number of new headlines in the systray.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I'm using Akregator but I am having minor issues with it.....

Under KDE I quite often get an error on startup (after starting KDE, something about running on another screen) and have to 'force' something or other about a database (forget exactly), but works normally after 'forcing' it.

Under Gnome Akregator quits completely when closing the app, while in KDE it keeps runnng in the taskbar.

Dapper btw
    Last edited by infoseeker; May 6th, 2006 at 09:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Firefox sage and here is why:
    1. Chances are Firefox is allready open and why not use it for reading rss's. Besides, if you click a link you are going to open Firefox anyway since the browser renders pages better than any reader.
    2. The RSS feeds are keep with the bookmarks and I synchronize my bookmarks with multiple machines. That means that if I modify a feed from my work computer, I would be able to see the modification at my home machine. Provided that I synchronized my bookmarks before.
    3. You can make it open the links from the feeds into a new tab. (FF >= 1.5 only)
    4. It can handle a big volume of feeds (I currently have 550 feeds)
    5. It can detect feeds from website and allow you to add them to the reader.
    6. Allows you to change the style of rendering the feeds in the browser page.
    No one is to be called an enemy, all are your benefactors, and no one does
    you harm. You have no enemy except yourselves. ---- St. Francis of Assisi

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I use Liferea.

I've tried Wiz and Sage, and various others linked to Firefox but went back to Liferea.

It just seems more configurable and easier to use somehow. I have 20-30 sites producing a few hundred feeds each day. Liferea seems the easiest app for me to work my way through them, only opening up a browser for those I'm interested in reading

Beans

Re: Favourite RSS Reader

I went with "Other".

I'm not a heavy RSS user, so I just use the Google Personalised Home page for the few feeds I use. It's unintrusive and really convenient to see the feeds whenever I open up a browser window.

I realise some are concerned about Google collecting personal information and whatnot, but quite frankly, I'm not overly worried about them knowing that I read The Onion, The Register, CBC news and a few stupid webcomics.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I love the features of rssowl, but Java's a total memory ****. Until I can find an all-in-one solution that doesn't bog my system down to the point of uselessness, I use the Sage plugin in Firefox for its feed finder feature (say that ten times fast), then plug the feed into Liferea (because I like an independent interface, as opposed to Sage's in-page navigation).

Anyone know a good solution with its own feed finder? I hate having two apps to complete one task.
    "We reject kings, presidents and voting. We believe in rough consensus and running code." -Dave Clark, IETF

Howto: Enable Restricted Media Formats - Add Extra Repositories Auto-Magicallly! - RTFM (pages) - Help Thyself!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well I've tried lifeerea for a while. And it has become my favorite rss reader . It looks nice, it does what it is told to do and it isn't buggy.

Beans

Using akregator in KDE. If I used Firefox all the time, I would just stick to it or one of its extensions for RSS. But since I'm using Konqueror for browsing, I stick to akregator.

@infoseek: I'm not sure about the error you're getting in KDE, but are you certain it's caused by akregator? As for running in the system tray, you can configure akregator not to have a system tray icon, so that it really closes when you close it. It's in the Settings > Configure akregator menu.

Beans
    Hidden!

i only read about 10 or 20 feeds, so i use netvibes.
    So... a 1337 java programmer walks into a bar...

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast