prettiest live download stats
    http://glow.mozilla.org/
    Cool.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Firefox 4 is out!

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    I guess someone else got tired of conflicts caused by Firefox being 32-bit on a 64-bit version of Ubuntu. Someone with the know-how to write an extension!

This is welcome news. I'd still like to know when we're going to get 64-bit regular builds of Firefox. Wasn't it supposed to happen with Firefox 4.0?
    Acer Swift 3 (SF314-42-R7LH)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Objekt View Post
    I guess someone else got tired of conflicts caused by Firefox being 32-bit on a 64-bit version of Ubuntu. Someone with the know-how to write an extension!
    Yes, me

However, I am using 32bit now. I have developed the extension mainly because of the enormous amount of threads asking for help with flash.

I also develop FlashVideoReplacer

http://www.webgapps.org/addons/flashvideoreplacer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thanks! You are a gentleman and a scholar.

The nuisance of figuring out Flash was one reason I installed the 32-bit version of Ubuntu 10.04, even though my hardware is 64-bit capable.

Also, there wasn't any real benefit to running x64 Ubuntu, as far as I knew. Still not aware that there's any big performance difference for anything I do (web, watch videos, a little gaming).
    Acer Swift 3 (SF314-42-R7LH)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

why does Mozilla maintain multiple versions of Firefox?

I noticed Chrome only maintains one version--the latest version. But Firefox has three different versions active now? Why not just maintain the most up to date version like Chrome?

Beans

Re: why does Mozilla maintain multiple versions of Firefox?

For the same reason that Ubuntu maintains multiple versions. Not everyone wants the hassle and risk of upgrading to a whole new release as soon as it is released, but they still want to receive security and critical bugfix updates.

I don't know what three versions you are seeing but Mozilla currently supports 3.6 (currently 3.6.15) and 4.0 (as of today). 3.5 users are in the process of being "encouraged" to 3.6 and support ended last summer. The current position is that 3.6 will continue to be supported "for a short amount of time".

For what it's worth, Chrome has at least 3 versions on the go all the time but only one of them described as "stable".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Objekt View Post
    Thanks! You are a gentleman and a scholar.

The nuisance of figuring out Flash was one reason I installed the 32-bit version of Ubuntu 10.04, even though my hardware is 64-bit capable.

Also, there wasn't any real benefit to running x64 Ubuntu, as far as I knew. Still not aware that there's any big performance difference for anything I do (web, watch videos, a little gaming).
    natively use more than 3.5GB of RAM

anyone else like FF4"s look on Windows better than the version Linux users got. This is one time I dont want GTK

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post
    anyone else like FF4"s look on Windows better than the version Linux users got. This is one time I dont want GTK
    Yes, it looks a lot better.

nmaster is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Firefox 4 Adblock Plus Add-on

Hey all,

I just installed FF4 from the ppa and I love it. I was previously using Chrome because of the pdf viewer, but mozplugger with evince seems solid.

I do have one issue though. I install adblock plus, restart, and then it is not there! The site (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../adblock-plus/) says that it should work with FF4.

Beans

Re: Firefox 4 Adblock Plus Add-on

No troubles here, did you set FF for 3rd party add-ons? GL

Page 5 of 254 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast