Page 249 of 254 FirstFirst ... 149199239247248249250251 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,490 of 2537

Thread: Firefox +1 Mega Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Firefox +1 Mega Thread

Which is accepted to be more secure, ESR or latest releases? (not Beta 1; Aurora or Nightly).

Right now ESR = Firefox 17.0.7 ESR

Regular Release = Firefox 22.0

Firefox release history

I see differing opinions so, I thought I'd see what people here think.

Thanks.

Beans

Dear All

I have an issue since I updated to firefox 22 today from the official repository. I run 12.04 LTS and my DE is Unity.

For some reason, upon restarting FF, the default page becomes http://www.counterstrike-cheats.com/...ts_accueil.php which is a page I never visited.

I cannot seem to be able to load any other page.

I am typing this from Chromium and opened a new session under a different user name to check a fresh profile of FF, it seems to run without any problems. Clearly, something corrupted my FF profile (an extension?) and does not allow me to load any website.

I would like to avoid having to delete my profile if I can at all....

Is anyone experiencing the same issue?

Thank you for your help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

azrae11e: Edit your HOST file and make www.replacewebsitenamehere.com 0.0.0.0

The website might be the thing that makes you unable to use another site.

Then go to the addon manager and disable anything that looks odd.

This is probably a extension or plugin you installed accidentally a while ago but that was failing to effect your FF until something in the update "fixed" the bug that stopped it from working.
    Last edited by vexorian; June 26th, 2013 at 11:22 PM.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans

Thank you Vexorian.
    I cannot locate my HOST file somehow in my firefox profile. Is this file located there or elsewhere?
    Apologies for the dumb question....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ouch sorry.

In terminal:

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/hosts
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/27350...ur-hosts-file/

This is just so that the server that hosts the suspicious web page stops working in your computer.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans

Thank you Vexorian.

My host file looks like this

Code:
    127.0.0.1    localhost
    127.0.1.1    azra-aspire-4810T

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
    ::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
    I added
    saved and exited.

I deactivated all my FF extensions, reloaded, and unfortunately, no result.

What do you think?
    Last edited by azrae11e; June 27th, 2013 at 08:19 PM.

Beans

This is a recurring problem for me, update Firefox and Adobe Flash breaks. Easiest solution (for me) is to completely remove Ubuntu's flash packages and install the plugin manually as per Adobe's instructions. It just seems idiotic that I've had to do this with 10.04, 11.04 and now 13.04 (I skipped 12.) libflashplayer.so has to go in the /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/ dir not /usr/lib which I believe is something Ubuntu screwed up all by themselves, so they should FIX IT!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 911insidejob View Post
    This is a recurring problem for me, update Firefox and Adobe Flash breaks. Easiest solution (for me) is to completely remove Ubuntu's flash packages and install the plugin manually as per Adobe's instructions. It just seems idiotic that I've had to do this with 10.04, 11.04 and now 13.04 (I skipped 12.) libflashplayer.so has to go in the /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/ dir not /usr/lib which I believe is something Ubuntu screwed up all by themselves, so they should FIX IT!
    I've never had this issue all the way to Ubuntu 13.10
    "I've asked you a million times not to exaggerate!"
    iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB

Beans

No issues here as well. I'm now testing 13.10.

Beans

Hi.

I've been having issues with Firefox on both Ubuntu 12.04 and 13.04.

I am using Ubuntu in a VM as a canned appliance to access a customer site, and it has been working just great for some time and has gone through Ubuntu upgrades 10->11->12.

Then, a couple of weeks ago or so I noticed an issue with CA ServiceDesk (the Computer Associates problem ticketing system which the customer uses), whereby there are supposed to be some bordered panes and a menu/tool bar of actions displayed within its window, similar to the screenshot below which I found on google (it's the items under the row of tabs withing the window which is missing, and also the borders below), but they were not being displayed.

Well, the app is going through an upgrade, so I thought they had messed it up and/or ServiceDesk no longer worked with Firefox, grrr...

However, I did a fresh install of Ubuntu 13.04 and ran up Firefox to SD and the menu/tool bar and bordered panes reappeared!

Great, I thought; it's working again!

I then did a software update...

And they disappeared again.

So, the issue appears to be related to the Ubuntu OS or Firefox update, and not with the application on the server.

Now, the great thing about VMs is that you can make a copy of them and revert to a previous position.

So, I've deleted the patched Ubuntu 13.04 and reinstated the pre-patched one, and lo and behold my content has reappeared.

I ran software updater and de-selected the "Install updates from:" options to exclude "Recommended" and "Unsupported" updates, and thereby leave only "Important security updates", and then ran an update, and rebooted.

When I opened Firefox to ServiceDesk the menu/tool bar and bordered panes were not there anymore.

I repeated the procedure with Ubuntu 12.04 and reverted to a previous copy of the VM which I had saved, and again the older version correctly displayed ServiceDesk with the menu/tool bar and bordered panes.

This puts me in a bad place, because as it stands I cannot update my Ubuntu installations as they break the applicaiton's presentation and so stop me being able to do my work.

I also went through a procedure to install Wine and Internet Explorer on a 12.04 VM, and it correctly displayed the items. However, that's not really where I want to be (I haven't gone to the trouble of setting up a Linux environment just so I can run Windows apps!).

I've not tried any diagnosis to figure out what precisely it is that is breaking it, but the current situation is that I cannot run updates on my Ubuntu system because they stop me being able to use it for the very thing I created it to do.

Has anybody had this or a similar issue and resolved it?

At the moment I am in a bad place and I need some help!

Thanks...

Page 249 of 254 FirstFirst ... 149199239247248249250251 ... LastLast