Page 53 of 254 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefox +1 Mega Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Firefox 4 Mega Thread

Quote Originally Posted by alexis44 View Post
    Actually, all of them, unfortunately. I still have the menu, as 3.6 had. I would rather have the default settings for FF4 or return to 3.6 if that is possible.
    Please run these commands in a terminal:

Code:
    echo 'Ubuntu Architecture' > ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
    echo '' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
    uname -a >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
    echo 'Ubuntu Version' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
    cat /etc/lsb-release >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
    echo 'Firefox Packages' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
    dpkg --get-selections | grep 'firefox*' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
    echo 'Firefox binaries' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
    which firefox >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
    file /usr/bin/firefox >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
    file /usr/local/bin/firefox >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
    file /opt/firefox/firefox >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
    echo 'Firefox divertion' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
    file /usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
    echo 'Sources' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
    ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
    firefox ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
    They will generate a file named firefox-report.txt in your Desktop. Copy the contents of that file and post here, so I can diagnose your problem.

BTW, the first post states that you should have chosen one method only. Running them all only cause trouble.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bug67 View Post
    Way too complicated - For me anyways.

The icons I want to use are in FF 4 on my Windows machine. the ones I want to replace are on my Linux machines. I don't understand how your method is supposed to work given the different machines.

I wish there was a a "themes" folder and all the little button icons were .png files in that folder. It would be so easy to swap things around that way.
    But there is! Open up a theme xpi file and that is exactly what you'll find. Almost! Take a theme you can live with and replace icons to your heart's content. Probably the biggest wrinkle you'll find with that idea is that many of the icons will be combined into fairly large images containing dozens of icons. This is, or was, done for performance reasons so that Firefox doesn't have to read thousands of tiny files. It is most important where an icon might flip between states like hover or active. Since themes are packed into xpi files, and in some cases jar files within the xpi file, I don't think this is a big issue any more, but I haven't looked into it. In any case, just work with the setup you have and change icons one for one wherever you find them. Lot of work though.

If you can't transfer images between your Windows and Linux machine then I'm going to guess that modifying a theme is way beyond you. It would actually be possible to create your theme on Windows!

Another approach would be to modify a GTK theme, since Firefox primarily uses GTK icons. Unfortunately there are a few custom icons and these are probably the ones you are most interested in changing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This is what I got back:

Ubuntu Architecture

Linux jennifer-T3616 2.6.35-28-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 1 14:40:58 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux

Ubuntu Version

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.10
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=maverick
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 10.10"

Firefox Packages

firefox install
    firefox-globalmenu install

Firefox binaries

/usr/bin/firefox
    /usr/bin/firefox: symbolic link to `../lib/firefox-4.0/firefox.sh'
    /usr/local/bin/firefox: ERROR: cannot open `/usr/local/bin/firefox' (No such file or directory)
    /opt/firefox/firefox: ERROR: cannot open `/opt/firefox/firefox' (No such file or directory)

Firefox divertion

/usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu: ERROR: cannot open `/usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu' (No such file or directory)

Sources

medibuntu.list
    medibuntu.list.save
    mozillateam-firefox-next-maverick.list
    mozillateam-firefox-next-maverick.list.save
    mozillateam-firefox-stable-maverick.list
    mozillateam-firefox-stable-maverick.list.save
    opera.list
    opera.list.save

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lithopsian View Post
    But there is! Open up a theme xpi file and that is exactly what you'll find. Almost! Take a theme you can live with and replace icons to your heart's content. Probably the biggest wrinkle you'll find with that idea is that many of the icons will be combined into fairly large images containing dozens of icons. This is, or was, done for performance reasons so that Firefox doesn't have to read thousands of tiny files. It is most important where an icon might flip between states like hover or active. Since themes are packed into xpi files, and in some cases jar files within the xpi file, I don't think this is a big issue any more, but I haven't looked into it. In any case, just work with the setup you have and change icons one for one wherever you find them. Lot of work though.

If you can't transfer images between your Windows and Linux machine then I'm going to guess that modifying a theme is way beyond you. It would actually be possible to create your theme on Windows!

Another approach would be to modify a GTK theme, since Firefox primarily uses GTK icons. Unfortunately there are a few custom icons and these are probably the ones you are most interested in changing
    He wasn't referring to a custom theme folder, but the original theme shipped with Firefox. We have already figured out that the default icons are inside omni.jar file in Firefox 4 installation folder.

Beans
    Distro

This is what I got back:

Ubuntu Architecture

Linux jennifer-T3616 2.6.35-28-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 1 14:40:58 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux

Ubuntu Version

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.10
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=maverick
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 10.10"

Firefox Packages

firefox install
    firefox-globalmenu install

Firefox binaries

/usr/bin/firefox
    /usr/bin/firefox: symbolic link to `../lib/firefox-4.0/firefox.sh'
    /usr/local/bin/firefox: ERROR: cannot open `/usr/local/bin/firefox' (No such file or directory)
    /opt/firefox/firefox: ERROR: cannot open `/opt/firefox/firefox' (No such file or directory)

Firefox divertion

/usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu: ERROR: cannot open `/usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu' (No such file or directory)

Sources

medibuntu.list
    medibuntu.list.save
    mozillateam-firefox-next-maverick.list
    mozillateam-firefox-next-maverick.list.save
    mozillateam-firefox-stable-maverick.list
    mozillateam-firefox-stable-maverick.list.save
    opera.list
    opera.list.save
    Go to "System >> Administration >> Software Sources", remove the entry containing:
    Code:
    http://ppa.launchpad.net/mozillateam/firefox-next/ubuntu...
    Then execute these commands:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get remove firefox-4.0
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall firefox
    This will reset your default Firefox to Firefox 4 from the stable ppa.

If you have any problems with bookmarks, passwords or Firefox settings, you might need to copy your profile from ~/.mozilla/firefox-4.0 to ~/.mozilla/firefox

If you want to completely remove Firefox 4 and downgrade to 3.6, then go to "System >> Administration >> Software Sources", remove the lines containing:

Code:
    http://ppa.launchpad.net/mozillateam/firefox-next/ubuntu...
    http://ppa.launchpad.net/mozillateam/firefox-stable/ubuntu...
    Then execute these on a terminal:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get remove firefox-4.0
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall firefox
    If you want to completely reset your Firefox settings, which will DELETE ALL YOUR PASSWORDS, BOOKMARKS, ADD-ONS and other Firefox files, then close Firefox and delete the folder ~/.mozilla/firefox and ~/.mozilla/firefox-4.0
    Last edited by lovinglinux; April 12th, 2011 at 09:55 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    He wasn't referring to a custom theme folder, but the original theme shipped with Firefox. We have already figured out that the default icons are inside omni.jar file in Firefox 4 installation folder.
    The default icons are almost useless because there are so few of them in Linux. You can replace them all and you'd still see a whole bunch of standard GTK themed icons. Also, even though I've done it on occasion, messing inside omni.jar isn't really a good solution to anything. Of course maybe you get lucky and only want to replace the Firefox custom icons Here is a directory of the various icons in the default theme, hopefully in a very easy to browse format.

Instead take a theme that includes a lot of custom icons (or all of them!) and just replace them as you like. Easy and it will still work with Firefox 4.0.1.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I did all you said, LovingLinux, and it still has me as 4.0. Either way, maybe it will be an improvement.

Beans
    Distro

I did all you said, LovingLinux, and it still has me as 4.0. Either way, maybe it will be an improvement.
    Please post a new report.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    Please post a new report.
    It seems to look much the same as the previous report:

Ubuntu Architecture Linux jennifer-T3616 2.6.35-28-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 1 14:40:58 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux Ubuntu Version DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.10 DISTRIB_CODENAME=maverick DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 10.10" Firefox Packages firefox install firefox-globalmenu install Firefox binaries /usr/bin/firefox /usr/bin/firefox: symbolic link to `../lib/firefox-4.0/firefox.sh' /usr/local/bin/firefox: ERROR: cannot open `/usr/local/bin/firefox' (No such file or directory) /opt/firefox/firefox: ERROR: cannot open `/opt/firefox/firefox' (No such file or directory) Firefox divertion /usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu: ERROR: cannot open `/usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu' (No such file or directory) Sources medibuntu.list medibuntu.list.save mozillateam-firefox-next-maverick.list mozillateam-firefox-next-maverick.list.save mozillateam-firefox-stable-maverick.list mozillateam-firefox-stable-maverick.list.save opera.list opera.list.save

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

nnifer@jennifer-T3616:~$ sudo echo 'Ubuntu Architecture' > ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
    jennifer@jennifer-T3616:~$ echo '' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
    jennifer@jennifer-T3616:~$ uname -a >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
    jennifer@jennifer-T3616:~$ echo 'Ubuntu Version' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txtjennifer@jennifer-T3616:~$ echo '' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
    jennifer@jennifer-T3616:~$ cat /etc/lsb-release >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
    jennifer@jennifer-T3616:~$ echo 'Firefox Packages' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
    jennifer@jennifer-T3616:~$ dpkg --get-selections | grep 'firefox*' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
    jennifer@jennifer-T3616:~$ echo 'Firefox binaries' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
    jennifer@jennifer-T3616:~$ which firefox >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
    jennifer@jennifer-T3616:~$ file /usr/bin/firefox >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txtjennifer@jennifer-T3616:~$ file /usr/local/bin/firefox >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
    jennifer@jennifer-T3616:~$ file /opt/firefox/firefox >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
    jennifer@jennifer-T3616:~$ echo 'Firefox divertion' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
    jennifer@jennifer-T3616:~$ file /usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
    jennifer@jennifer-T3616:~$ echo 'Sources' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
    jennifer@jennifer-T3616:~$ ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
    jennifer@jennifer-T3616:~$ firefox ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
    jennifer@jennifer-T3616:~$

Page 53 of 254 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast