Page 252 of 254 FirstFirst ... 152202242250251252253254 LastLast
Results 2,511 to 2,520 of 2537

Thread: Firefox +1 Mega Thread

Beans

Re: Firefox +1 Mega Thread

Are there any mods for Firefox to improve it's memory handling? The latest versions sure seem to be hungry.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Found the way to display a blank page when opening Firefox; as I asked a couple of threads ago :

With Firefox opened > Edit > Preferences > Restore to default > When Firefox starts > Choose "Show a blank page" > Close.

But still, running Firefox 14.0.1 NO WAY I can upgrade ¿? . Nothing happens, downloaded 29.0.1.tar.bz2 , resides in my 'Downloads' folder; I extracted, shows now 79 extracted items in an unzipped Firefox folder but do not know what to do to install them.

Some guidance please ?
    Last edited by Innernet; May 18th, 2014 at 12:53 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You should be able to install Firefox from the Ubuntu Software Center in your applications.(click on Dash and enter Ubuntu Software Center and then search for Firefox)
    No need to work with tar files
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:

Beans
    Distro

"No need to work with tar files"
    Well, the .tar is what the Mozilla site delivers to upgrade to the Firefox 29 browser. if not, then, what is that .tar intended for ?

Per your suggestion, at --> Applications --> Ubuntu Software Center --> Search 'Firefox' --> shows my 14.0.1 = what I have installed, no option to upgrade; only a 'Remove' button option. ¿? ¿? ¿? ¿?
    Can someone please give me some light ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Innernet View Post
    Well, the .tar is what the Mozilla site delivers to upgrade to the Firefox 29 browser. if not, then, what is that .tar intended for ?

Per your suggestion, at --> Applications --> Ubuntu Software Center --> Search 'Firefox' --> shows my 14.0.1 = what I have installed, no option to upgrade; only a 'Remove' button option. ¿? ¿? ¿? ¿?
    Firefox will be updated without you having to do anything while you are on the latest Ubuntu version. You can open the latest FF and move the Firefox file into the Firefox directory but it's not needed. It will be updated on it's own.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Innernet View Post

If you are using 12.04 unless you have updates for the OS disabled (bad idea) the system should have updated Firefox to ver 29 updating for each new release between 14 and 29. Attached is an image of my software update page showing daily updates. You can find this under Ubuntu Software Center Edit/Software Sources then tab over to updates. Really if you have not been updating your system since Firefox 14 came out you have exposed your computer to possible security breaches
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, SuperFreak.
    Correct, happily running 12.04 since released with Firefox 14 as supplied with in 2012; never updated OS, never felt a need for the automatic addition of dozens of files I do not need nor want; mainly because cannot tell what they are for and my compfuser works great since day one this way. Running a lean system with no security breaches I can discern, nor performance hiccups.
    And I thought Linux did not suffer from security problems. Now seems it may not be like that
    So I get from your post, that I cannot have a newer browser unless I get a newest Ubuntu version. That is sad news.

Then, this does not make sense either : 12.04 with FF 29 ---> http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package...n/base/firefox

Beans
    Distro

You could add the ppa but it will not make any difference as you have updates turned off. Linux is secure if updated properly but once the updates are turned off, particularly the security updates, that is not necessarily the case. You could remove firefox and unpack and install the tar file if you are unwilling to do routine updates. see https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...-firefox-linux. I believe there is a chance that there will be some compatibility issues with Ubuntu this way. Your choice
    Suggest if you uninstall Firefox you install an alternative browser such as Opera or Chromium just in case you are left without Firefox working
    Last edited by SuperFreak; May 20th, 2014 at 08:53 PM.

Beans

You can try using vmware... where you can access two different operating system, in the same way you can also use two different version of browser.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Firefox 34 is quite buggy and flashblock no longer works as it's not been maintained.

Page 252 of 254 FirstFirst ... 152202242250251252253254 LastLast