Thread: Can I just replace the wallpaper file?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Can I just replace the wallpaper file?

I wanted to change the log-in screen background since Lubuntu 15.10's "purple geodesic" design is so ugly. There's lots of advice about changing .conf files, etc on the web. Can I just go into usr/share/lubuntu/wallpapers/ and change the 1510-lubuntu-default-wallpaper.png file to a different image with that same name?

Beans

Re: Can I just replace the wallpaper file?

Quote Originally Posted by anotherChris View Post
    I wanted to change the log-in screen background since Lubuntu 15.10's "purple geodesic" design is so ugly. There's lots of advice about changing .conf files, etc on the web. Can I just go into usr/share/lubuntu/wallpapers/ and change the 1510-lubuntu-default-wallpaper.png file to a different image with that same name?
    Yes, but I would back up 1510-lubuntu-default-wallpaper.png by copying it to something like 1510-lubuntu-default-wallpaper.png.bak first, then replace the file with the background you want - another .png would be needed.

I am not looking at Lubuntu at the moment, but I also recall there are some symbolic links in there that can be redirected to use a different background image. I will give a look.

Beans

The conf file modification to change your login screen bg is very simple

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/lxdm/default.conf
    Code:
    [display]
    bg=/usr/share/backgrounds/.../something.png #modify this line to point to the absolute path of the image file of your choosing

Beans

I looked at Lubuntu 14.04, and see I had changed the greeter (login screen) background by:

Editing /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf

and change the default:

background=/usr/share/lubuntu/wallpapers/lubuntu-default-wallpaper.png

to an image of my choice placed in the same folder:

background=/usr/share/lubuntu/wallpapers/energy-pulse.png

So this is another way. The symbolic link lubuntu-default-wallpaper.png is in the wallpaper folder as I thought, but no need to get into that. This or your idea will work fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Thanks. I have never changed a .conf file before. I guess, no time like the present!

I ended up having to do something a little different from suggested. I'm guess 15.10 is changed since 14.04...

First, I had to install gedit (I thought it came installed...?!). Then...

Code:
    anotherChris@anotherPC:~$ sudo gedit /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf.d/30_lubuntu.conf

** (gedit:10643): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files

(gedit:10643): Gtk-WARNING **: Calling Inhibit failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files
    anotherChris@anotherPC:~$
    I don't understand those error messages. I hope they aren't important!!

Anyhow, the wallpaper was successfully changed.
    Last edited by howefield; January 28th, 2016 at 11:36 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by anotherChris View Post
    I ended up having to do something a little different from suggested. I'm guess 15.10 is changed since 14.04...

First, I had to install gedit (I thought it came installed...?!). Then...

Code:
    anotherChris@anotherPC:~$ sudo gedit /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf.d/30_lubuntu.conf

** (gedit:10643): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files

(gedit:10643): Gtk-WARNING **: Calling Inhibit failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files
    anotherChris@anotherPC:~$
    I don't understand those error messages. I hope they aren't important!!

Anyhow, the wallpaper was successfully changed.
    1. Dennis N's first suggestion of just replacing the wallpaper png worked for me.
    2. Gedit isn't present in Lubuntu as a default. Leafpad is Lubuntu's default GUI text editor. You need to install gedit if you want it. And, if you weren't careful, you'd have pulled in quite a few extras (recommends).
    3. When you run a GUI application from a terminal, you may see various messages. If the program works as expected, you can ignore those messages. Check out this answer: http://askubuntu.com/a/422400. In short, most messages can be ignored by you and me if we aren't developers of the application/theme
    4. There's a whole can of worms behind sudo whichever_graphical_application. Explaining that and gksudo and pkexec is beyond me.
    Last edited by vasa1; January 28th, 2016 at 11:09 AM.

Beans

Adding a bit to vasa1's comments,

In the future, I suggest you spend a little time learning how to use the terminal-based text editor nano, especially for a simple text file edit job when you are replacing only a few words. It will make many editing jobs quicker and easier.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/42980...e-text-editor/

Give it a try.