Re: Firefox 4, 5 & Beyond Mega Thread

Quick and easy. Thanks..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by bybuntu View Post
    I am getting exactly the same problem, as well as the following:

a) Random hangups of ~10 seconds with high CPU usage.
    b) Same deal when doing "View Image Info" (possibly more apparent after longer browsing sessions).

Any chance you are using NoScript add-on?

Edit: OK, I found out the issue persists when starting in Safe Mode, but disappears when using another profile. So it's profile related.
    Do you notice any disk activity during the spike? If yes, try to optimize your databases.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    Try Firefox 7.0b1 from firefox-next ppa. It has some performance improvements.
    I'm still getting high CPU usage. I need my add-ons, so not really an option for the long-term.

I am getting exactly the same problem, as well as the following:

a) Random hangups of ~10 seconds with high CPU usage.
    b) Same deal when doing "View Image Info" (possibly more apparent after longer browsing sessions).

Any chance you are using NoScript add-on?

Edit: OK, I found out the issue persists when starting in Safe Mode, but disappears when using another profile. So it's profile related.

Edit #2: it was being caused by a corrupt places.sqlite file (bookmarks).
    I am not using the NoScript add-on. Did you delete the corrupt.sqlite file with SQLite manager add-on?

Beans

Actually I made a new profile, exported the old bookmarks to HTML, and then imported them to new profile. Took me a while to reinstall all the add-ons. If you want to avoid that, perhaps you could export your bookmarks to HTML, delete your places.sqlite file(s), and then import your bookmarks from the HTML. Of course, that's assuming the problem is the same in your case...

Also that tip for optimizing Firefox databases is great, it shaved some file size off all Firefox sqlite files.
    Last edited by bybuntu; August 26th, 2011 at 06:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I have uninstalled Firefox 7 via Ubuntu Software Centre so that I can reinstall Firefox 6, but the Official PPA for Firefox Beta still remains. I did a search and found that

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/firefox-next
    will remove it, so I typed that into the terminal and got the following:

Code:
    Executing: gpg --ignore-time-conflict --no-options --no-default-keyring --secret-keyring /etc/apt/secring.gpg --trustdb-name /etc/apt/trustdb.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --primary-keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80/ --recv 0AB215679C571D1C8325275B9BDB3D89CE49EC21
    gpg: requesting key CE49EC21 from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
    gpg: key CE49EC21: "Launchpad PPA for Mozilla Team" not changed
    gpg: Total number processed: 1
    gpg:              unchanged: 1
    I have no clue what that means. So, I look in Ubuntu Software Centre to see if the ppa was removed; it wasn't. What I then did was this: while in Ubuntu Software Centre, Edit > Software Sources > Other Software tab > Remove everything that contained firefox-next > Close. Now back in Ubuntu Software Centre, I still see the ppa.

What am I doing wrong?

Launchpad help doesn't say much. Also, is ppa-purge a ppa to remove another ppa? Should I use this?

Totally confused.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by in·ter·punct View Post
    I have no clue what that means. So, I look in Ubuntu Software Centre to see if the ppa was removed; it wasn't. What I then did was this: while in Ubuntu Software Centre, Edit > Software Sources > Other Software tab > Remove everything that contained firefox-next > Close. Now back in Ubuntu Software Centre, I still see the ppa.
    Now run these:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall firefox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Having the same button issues with flash aid .. have your latest version and it installed in FF6, but still no button .. yet I get a pop up that a new version of Flash 32 is available. The pop up goes away before I can click on it!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoundguy View Post
    Having the same button issues with flash aid .. have your latest version and it installed in FF6, but still no button .. yet I get a pop up that a new version of Flash 32 is available. The pop up goes away before I can click on it!
    Right-click on the toolbar, select "Customize", drag the Flash-Aid icon to the toolbar.

Beans
    Distro

Actually I made a new profile, exported the old bookmarks to HTML, and then imported them to new profile. Took me a while to reinstall all the add-ons. If you want to avoid that, perhaps you could export your bookmarks to HTML, delete your places.sqlite file(s), and then import your bookmarks from the HTML. Of course, that's assuming the problem is the same in your case...

Also that tip for optimizing Firefox databases is great, it shaved some file size off all Firefox sqlite files.
    I just cleared all of my history and, to my surprise, that solved it.

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    Now run these:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall firefox
    Now I feel silly. Clearing my history solved the View Page Info problem. Will try out the database optimization. Thanks for all the help.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by in·ter·punct View Post
    I just cleared all of my history and, to my surprise, that solved it.

Now I feel silly. Clearing my history solved the View Page Info problem. Will try out the database optimization. Thanks for all the help.
    Optimize your databases frequently and you probably won't suffer this problem again.

Page 145 of 254 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155195245 ... LastLast