Results 2,451 to 2,460 of 2537

Thread: Firefox +1 Mega Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Firefox +1 Mega Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFreak View Post
    @LovingLinux
    I am using the latest version of Firefox and I am having some issues with font display (specifically with Roboform) being distorted. I think this may be related to add ons I have installed but even after uninstalling font related add ons I get the same problem.
    What I would like to do is uninstall Firefox and have a clean install with no add ons, changes to default Firefox settings, etc. When I uninstall through Software center and reinstall I get the same Firefox with all my add ons pre-installed. I know you posted some directions on fresh Firefox install but it appears to be for 32 bit, can you tell me how to reinstall a fresh copy of Firefox 64 bit?

Thanks in advance
    Did you remove your profile after you uninstalled FF? Use Nautilus or Thunar and go to your home user directory and make sure that "Hidden Files" is checked. Go down the list and fine ".mozilla", note that there is a period in front of "mozilla". The easiest thing is to rename this file to something like ".mozillaX", you can delete it too if you are brave.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@RedRat

Thanks for your help.I was able to get a fresh install of Firefox and FEBE helped restore my passwords and the renamed but old profile was used to restore bookmarks
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:

Beans

Hi there I'm unsure if I should start a new thread or post here, please do let me know which one is better!

I'm running firefox 17.0.1 in ubuntu 12.04 and it is all fine except the firefox process continues to run after I exit the browser. If a flash video was running the audio continues until the end of the video or I kill the process.

If I need to post more info please let me know, but would appreciate any help here!

Beans

Update, this has been resolved,the updates have now downloaded and will install. I guess it was just a temporary problem Solved

Hi,
    Anyone any suggestions on what I should do with this problem please:

[Resolved] Firefox Updates Failing
    At the moment my Firefox updates are failing. Initially all my Ubuntu updates from the updater were not installing. When I looked at the error message I noted it was detailing problems only with the Firefox related updates. The message was to check the internet connection but:

• Firefox itself (Canonical Aurora) was open and running ok, and I have just sent this message using it.
    • I deselected the Firefox related items, and all other items downloaded and installed.

I am guessing this is likely to be a temporary problem with a server or something and will sort itself out later.

The details of the error message I am getting from the update-manager are:

Failed to download package files

Check your Internet connection.
    Code:
    Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mozilla-daily/firefox-aurora/ubuntu/pool/main/f/firefox/firefox-globalmenu_19.0~a2~hg20130105r119197-0ubuntu1~umd1~precise_amd64.deb 404  Not Found
    Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mozilla-daily/firefox-aurora/ubuntu/pool/main/f/firefox/firefox_19.0~a2~hg20130105r119197-0ubuntu1~umd1~precise_amd64.deb 404  Not Found
    Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mozilla-daily/firefox-aurora/ubuntu/pool/main/f/firefox/firefox-gnome-support_19.0~a2~hg20130105r119197-0ubuntu1~umd1~precise_amd64.deb 404  Not Found
    Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mozilla-daily/firefox-aurora/ubuntu/pool/main/f/firefox/firefox-locale-en_19.0~a2~hg20130105r119197-0ubuntu1~umd1~precise_amd64.deb 404  Not Found
    I am still rather new to Ubuntu. Any advice as to what my next steps should be if this error continues, or ideas as to what the cause is likely to be.

I am using Ubuntu 12.04 on a 64 bit AMD laptop.
    Last edited by aka-John99; January 8th, 2013 at 04:54 PM. Reason: problem solved

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wisefaiz View Post
    Hi there I'm unsure if I should start a new thread or post here, please do let me know which one is better!

I'm running firefox 17.0.1 in ubuntu 12.04 and it is all fine except the firefox process continues to run after I exit the browser. If a flash video was running the audio continues until the end of the video or I kill the process.

If I need to post more info please let me know, but would appreciate any help here!
    One or two things are likely here, malware, or a more innocent explanation that causes a hang on exit. You mention Flash, and that could be important here. Firefox and Flash have been having problems for a number of months, but of course FlashPlayer does not any longer fully support Linux and so Ubuntu only get the security updates not the "improvements".

• Do your problems only occur when you are using FlashPlayer ?
      • disable or uinstall Flash if necessary to check
      • note when checking for processes also look for plugincontainer not just firefox

There are a couple of KB articles that cover this sort of situation so I will add links to those. For now it is probabbly best to discount malware (It is rarely a Ubuntu problem, same goes for use of AV suites that have also been known to cause such a problem). The articles are long and it may be worth scrolling over them and exploring other links

Whatever the cause you are going to need to do abit of troubleshooting to narrow down the possiblities. May I suggest you read the articles and try the suggestions then post back with how you are getting on, and what has been tried..
    Last edited by aka-John99; January 8th, 2013 at 01:33 PM. Reason: added quote of original post

Beans

Thank you very much, aka-John99, will do as you suggest and report back!

Beans

RSS feeds, I can not create new subscribiptions to live bookmarks.

For a while now I have not been able to subscribe to new live bookmarks / RSS feeds,using the Firefox icon option "subscribe to ths page".
    Existing feeds continue to work ok.

Has anyone got any information on this or troubleshooting suggestions please ?

I am probably missing something obvious. I have tried using Firefox Nightly (Mozilla) and I may set up subscriptions on that still. I have cleared all cache cookies etc, and used safe-mode with all plugins disabled, but that does not help. The error console output looks ather odd, making me wonder if in fact the feature is being deprecated.

Code:
    Error Console results
    Nightly does work but generates one warning:
    Timestamp: 13/01/13 10:57:06
    Warning: Use of Mutation Events is deprecated. Use MutationObserver instead.
    Source File: chrome://browser/content/places/bookmarkProperties.js 
    Line: 342
    Aurora generates three messsages:
    Timestamp: 13/01/13 10:46:49
    Error: The Components object is deprecated. It will soon be removed.
    Source File: chrome://global/content/bindings/text.xml
    Line: 70
    Warning: Use of Mutation Events is deprecated. Use MutationObserver instead.
    Source File: chrome://global/content/bindings/menulist.xml
    Line: 245
    Error: NS_ERROR_XPC_JAVASCRIPT_ERROR_WITH_DETAILS: '[JavaScript Error: "readerURI is null" {file: "resource://gre/components/FeedWriter.js" line: 1321}]' when calling method: [nsIFeedWriter::init]
    Source File: chrome://browser/content/feeds/subscribe.js
    Line: 14
    I did not find many posts about Feed in this forum but a couple of recent ones I did see do not seem to mention anything about this feature ceasing in Firefox Cononical.

I am using Ubuntu 12.04, Firefox (Canonical) Aurora 19.0a2 (2013-01-07), on a 64 bit AMD laptop.

Beans

Smile Re: Firefox +1 Mega Thread

Thanks great tutorial!

Beans

i have already install it. Thanks

Beans

Re: [solved] RSS feeds, I can not create new subscribiptions to live bookmarks.

Quote Originally Posted by aka-John99 View Post
    For a while now I have not been able to subscribe to new live bookmarks / RSS feeds,using the Firefox icon option "subscribe to ths page".
    Existing feeds continue to work ok.

Has anyone got any information on this or troubleshooting suggestions please ?
    It turned out to be messed up/missing preferences. To work with live bookmarks as the feed the relevant prefs and settings are:
    Code:

Pref    Value
    browser.feeds.handler    bookmarks
    browser.feeds.handler.default    bookmarks
    browser.feeds.showFirstRunUI    false
    These are prefs that do not list as user set in the troubleshooting info

I would have just edited the original. But I could not find the button to edit, maybe the forum has a time limit on edits.
    Last edited by aka-John99; February 5th, 2013 at 03:57 AM. Reason: format

Page 246 of 254 FirstFirst ... 146196236244245246247248 ... LastLast