Page 196 of 254 FirstFirst ... 96146186194195196197198206246 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,960 of 2537

Thread: Firefox +1 Mega Thread

Beans

Question Re: Firefox 9 & Beyond Mega Thread

fire fox is Best browser it is fast and easy use

Beans

Re: Firefox 9 & Beyond Mega Thread

I made this How-To video for terminal-shy newbies that don't want to wait for the repos to update and want to install the latest stable Firefox tar.bz2 file.

Granted, there are other ways of doing this, but this is what works for me, and new Linux users will be able to install it without getting frustrated.

------- Edit Removed link.
    Last edited by Big Lizard; December 22nd, 2011 at 01:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by d2btoo View Post
    Yes firefox 9 seems faster (btw lots of ram usage - ~100mb for just 3 tabs :thumbs down: , but then it's seems the current trend with all browsers.)

Anyway, my query is anybody here know any turbo(opera turbo) like service exists for firefox? Thanks.
    Not that I am aware.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lizard View Post
    I made this How-To video for terminal-shy newbies that don't want to wait for the repos to update and want to install the latest stable Firefox tar.bz2 file.

Granted, there are other ways of doing this, but this is what works for me, and new Linux users will be able to install it without getting frustrated.

("Terminal Veterans" will hate it!)

http://youtu.be/mQAQ4nOg8kg

Good work. Nice video.

I am not sure if renaming and replacing /usr/bin/firefox is a good practice. It could cause issues with upgrades. The less intrusive method is to make the symlink to /usr/local/bin/firefox so you can start the regular firefox from the launcher and the newest one from terminal, by simply typing firefox.

Don't forget to create a symlink for the system plugins folder.

Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins /opt/firefox-9.0.1/plugins

Beans

I see it. I'm going to have to redo that. Sorry for the interruption.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Firefox 8 & Beyond Mega Thread

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    Firefox 9 has been released today. It is already available in the firefox-stable ppa for Maverick and Lucid. Natty/Oneiric users will have to wait a little bit, since the official repository is still distributing FF 8.0.

If you don't use a ppa, but download it from Mozilla, then get it at http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi.../releases/9.0/

Mozilla claims Firefox 9 is up to 30% faster than Firefox 8:

http://blog.mozilla.com/blog/2011/12...-to-30-faster/

That's awesome.

Mozilla has also moved Firefox 12 to nightly. Later today, they will move Firefox 11.0a1 to Aurora channel and Firefox 10.0 to the beta channel. I think is worth mentioning that Firefox 10 is the one that will consider add-ons compatible by default, unless they are flagged as incompatible. So, the next beta release will be an exciting one.

Mozilla also announced today another 3-year contract with Google, to receive revenue from Google searches. So the rumors that Google would not renew the contract are over.
    So we should expect the repos to be updated about a week before 10 final is released
    All the world's a stage
    And all the men and women merely players

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by teejay17 View Post
    So we should expect the repos to be updated about a week before 10 final is released
    If the repository hasn't been updated yet and you are really impatient, you can get the latest version from the ubuntu-mozilla-security ppa. Keep in mind this repository also upgrade Thunderbird:

To upgrade to the latest stable version undergoing security and stability tests use ubuntu-mozilla-security ppa.

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-security/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install firefox
    • This ppa upgrades your default Firefox installation AND THUNDERBIRD, with stable versions undergoing testing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    If the repository hasn't been updated yet and you are really impatient, you can get the latest version from the ubuntu-mozilla-security ppa. Keep in mind this repository also upgrade Thunderbird:
    No, I'm patient enough to wait. It was just a jab, in jest (one of those things I couldn't restrain myself from doing) because it really was only about a week or two ago when 8 came down the line.
    Jabs aside, I'd still would rather wait for the official repos.
    All the world's a stage
    And all the men and women merely players

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by teejay17 View Post
    No, I'm patient enough to wait. It was just a jab, in jest (one of those things I couldn't restrain myself from doing) because it really was only about a week or two ago when 8 came down the line.
    Jabs aside, I'd still would rather wait for the official repos.
    I decided to add the ubuntu-mozilla-security to the first post, because firefox-stable is being updated sooner than the official repos lately. I hope this will reduce the complain threads or at least will facilitate giving instructions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lizard View Post

Thanks to lovinglinux for pointing out a couple of issues with the install on my original video. So, here is the corrected version for newbies and anyone that doesn't want to wait.

http://youtu.be/VHGmCBQpidY

Beans

Unhappy Re: Firefox 9 & Beyond Mega Thread

Well, I just got firefox 9.0 by accident, didn't notice what version firefox was in the update. This is the first time I've ever had a linux distro upgrade a major version of such an important package.
    I'm using xubuntu 10.10 amd64.
    Five of my add-ons are not compatible with 9.0, and three of those are dealbreakers; CookieSafe, Autotrans, and Bookmark This Page Plus.

So, I want to downgrade to 3.6(.24?) AND pin it to that version.
    How do I do that?
    (I already tried to install the 3.6.24 package I could find in the repository, but there was a locale problem and it couldn't start, even though I'm using english as locale).

Edit: I think I figured it out myself.
    First, go to your local ubuntu mirror
    http://[someubuntumirror.somewhere]/...ain/f/firefox/
    and download;
    firefox_3.6.24+build2+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.10.1_amd64.deb
    firefox-branding_3.6.24+build2+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.10.1_amd64.deb
    firefox-gnome-support_3.6.24+build2+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.10.1_amd64.deb

Close firefox. Uninstall (preferably dpkg --purge);
    abrowser
    firefox
    firefox-branding
    firefox-gnome-support
    firefox-locale-en

go to where you downloaded the 3.6 packages.
    Install them with dpkg -i firefox*

Note: do NOT download and install the 3.6.24 abrowser package. (Read the description if you wonder why).

Pinning the packages (with dselect):
    start dselect, choose Select packages.. and press space on the help page.
    search for firefox (shift+7 or / on the keypad. Note: just hitting enter in the next search, searches for the next package with the last searched phrase. No need to write it again).
    press shift+h to pin the package that's highlighted.
    Repeat procedure for the firefox-branding and firefox-gnome-support packages.

Just curious; Why (OH GOD, WHY) did the Ubuntu-maintainers upgrade firefox and let 10.10 users stumble into misery like this, so they can waste some of their already ultra-short christmas vacation downgrading to a browser where all their add-ons/extensions work?

I'm thinking about dumping ubuntu entirely, and as you can imagine, this incident did not improve matters.
    Last edited by greylion; December 23rd, 2011 at 11:19 PM. Reason: figured it out myself (I think)

Page 196 of 254 FirstFirst ... 96146186194195196197198206246 ... LastLast