Page 147 of 254 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157197247 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,470 of 2537

Thread: Firefox +1 Mega Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Firefox 4, 5 & Beyond Mega Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Aquix View Post
    I saw on lifehacker that someone mentioned that they had upgraded from 3.* to 6 using the same profile, and making a new profile made firefox quicker and less memory hungry.

Is this primarily for windows or will it help with firefox on ubuntu?

Link
    Creating new profiles affects Firefox on any OS.

Most likely that the profile databases were in need of an optimization. Creating a new profile is one way of doing it, since databases are re-created. Additionally, old profiles might have less than optimal prefs settings. Some time ago I used an extension to delete old Preferences, left behind by uninstalled add-ons. It improved page loading considerably. So, creating a new profile would also help.

If you want to try, you can create a new profile, without deleting the current one. To do that, start Firefox with:

Code:
    firefox -P
    That will launch the profile manager.

Keep in mind there are other ways of optimizing Firefox, without creating new profiles. Check my optimization tutorials at http://www.webgapps.org/tutorials/firefox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Flash

How can i be able to play flash videos in my browser?
    Mine is Ubuntu 11.04 64 bit.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Flash

Try installing the restricted extras package

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Gwaro View Post
    How can i be able to play flash videos in my browser?
    Mine is Ubuntu 11.04 64 bit.
    don't install any flash from the system software repositories as it only have 32-bits flash, for 64-bits systems use the firefox flash-aid addon to get 64-bits flash installed, it will work on all web browsers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by gandaran View Post
    don't install any flash from the system software repositories as it only have 32-bits flash, for 64-bits systems use the firefox flash-aid addon to get 64-bits flash installed, it will work on all web browsers.
    +1 )
    Dell Inspiron 1764 Laptop, Intel CoreTM i5 520M), 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz, 512MB ATI Mobility RadeonTM HD4330 Integrated Intel HD.

Beans
    Distro

Iran May Have Acquired Google SSL Certificate, Prompts Browser Security Alerts

Users are urged to update their browsers. It seems Mozilla will release an update today.

More info and discussion at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1836052

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gandaran View Post
    Make sure to get Flash-Aid 2.2.1, because the version on the main page has a compatibility bug that affects Firefox 6 users.

Beans
    Distro

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hi lovinglinux,

I updated to Flash-Aid 2.2.1 today from version 2.2 and ran the wizard and got this error which I don't remember seeing before. See screenshot below of it.

I continued to run the wizard by clicking Cancel and used it anyways.

Is this something, I should be concerned about?

Thank you.

Does it have to do with this:

http://www.conceivablytech.com/9157/...ecurity-alerts
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mikodo; August 31st, 2011 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Link added

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mikodo View Post
    Hi lovinglinux,

I updated to Flash-Aid 2.2.1 today from version 2.2 and ran the wizard and got this error which I don't remember seeing before. See screenshot below of it.

I continued to run the wizard by clicking Cancel and used it anyways.

Is this something, I should be concerned about?

Thank you.
    Since version 2.2.0 I am using a SSL connection to retrieve the url of the latest flash version. To be safe, the extension first check if the SSL connection to my site can be authenticated. If not, it will issue that alert before running the Wizard or other modes.

To make sure the extension is capable of installing flash in case SSL fails, I have hardcoded the latest flash url from Adobe into the extension code.

If you Cancel the alert, the extension will use the hardcoded url and won't connect to my web site. This will work as long as Adobe doesn't release a new version and remove the old one from the FTP server.

If you click OK, the extension will retrieve the latest flash url from http://updates.webgapps.org/flashplayer32 or http://updates.webgapps.org/flashplayer64, which is the same method used before Flash-Aid 2.2.0.

I recommend to Cancel the alert as you did, since it will use the hardcoded url.

The SSL test runs only once a day to retrieve the latest flash url from my site, to avoid overloading the server. If the SSL fails, it doesn't save the new url. However, you can force it to test again (perhaps I should add a button to do that any time you want). To do that, type about:config in the address bar, then type extensions.flashaid.dataupdate in the filter, right-click on the resulting entry and select "Reset". Restart Firefox. It will check for the SSL connection 5 seconds after restarting Firefox.

Quote Originally Posted by mikodo View Post
    Nope.
    Last edited by lovinglinux; August 31st, 2011 at 06:08 PM.

Page 147 of 254 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157197247 ... LastLast