Page 105 of 254 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155205 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 2537

Thread: Firefox +1 Mega Thread

Beans

Re: Firefox 4, 5 & Beyond Mega Thread

Tried that and it still reacted the same way.

Beans

I read the posts, and am almost ready to upgrade FF 3.x.x on my Lucid Lynx, to FF 5 (I guess 4 isn't offered anymore), but having to go into the terminal and having to do this every few weeks would become a pain in the @55 every time a new version of FF came out.

Or does it upgrade itself automatically? Like, "A new version of Firefox is available, would you like to upgrade?" And I click yes, and - PRESTO! It's upgraded?

Or will it show up on my Updates Manager when upgrades or updates are available? (I just need t be sure. Reading that no more updates will be made for FF4 is disconcerting - I'm thinking of my Windows partition, will I have to uninstall FF4 before installing FF5? What a pain that would be, if I had to do that every few weeks...)

Yeah... I'm just an "end user". The kind tech support makes jokes about. lol
    Last edited by DeadlyOats; June 26th, 2011 at 03:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by weirdwisdom View Post
    Tried that and it still reacted the same way.
    Use the new profile manager to create and start profiles. See http://www.webgapps.org/tutorials/fi...es-and-backups

BTW, keep in mind there are various users and various subjects on this thread, so please quote the last instruction when replying, otherwise I don't know what are you talking about and need to search your last post. For instance your last message was vague and my memory is not that good

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyOats View Post
    I read the posts, and am almost ready to upgrade FF 3.x.x on my Lucid Lynx, to FF 5 (I guess 4 isn't offered anymore), but having to go into the terminal and having to do this every few weeks would become a pain in the @55 every time a new version of FF came out.

Or does it upgrade itself automatically? Like, "A new version of Firefox is available, would you like to upgrade?" And I click yes, and - PRESTO! It's upgraded?

Or will it show up on my Updates Manager when upgrades or updates are available? (I just need t be sure. Reading that no more updates will be made for FF4 is disconcerting - I'm thinking of my Windows partition, will I have to uninstall FF4 before installing FF5? What a pain that would be, if I had to do that every few weeks...)

Yeah... I'm just an "end user". The kind tech support makes jokes about. lol
    Just execute the commands once. You will get Firefox 5. After that, the Update Manager will warn you when a new version is available.

On the Windows partition, you get a message to upgrade to Firefox 5, then to Firefox 6 and so on. No need to uninstall FF 4.

Beans

Thanks for the clarification. It is much appreciated.

Beans

Upgrading to Firefox 5?

I've just found this article regarding the release of Firefox 5. From what I've read it appears that Firefox 4 has a lot of security issues and Mozilla appears to have abandoned version 4 and simply released it has version 5.

For anyone using Firefox 4 there are going to be no further updates / upgrades for this version and Mozilla are not even telling users about it. If you want the security updates you will need to upgrade to version 5.

What I don't understand is if its simply a security upgrade then why didn't Mozilla simply call it 4.1 or something similar? Also, how will this affect users like me still using 3 (version 3.6)?
    Last edited by Linux_junkie; June 26th, 2011 at 10:16 AM. Reason: amended web link and spelling

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Upgrading to Firefox 5?

Mozilla have changed their release cadence. Instead of saving up a big update for ages then dropping it all in one go, they're going to do lots of smaller updates, like Chrome do.

I wouldn't get too hung up on version numbers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Mozilla have changed their release cadence. Instead of saving up a big update for ages then dropping it all in one go, they're going to do lots of smaller updates, like Chrome do.
    ... giving us another reason to use IE in something more serious than "home use" (unfortunatelly).
    but, well, i'm running ff5- works fine for me /on windows/- but i don't see any differences from v4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

If you are using Firefox from the official package sources you'll get security updates as long as your release of Ubuntu is supported, even for Firefox 3.

In Ubuntu 11.04 Firefox has been upgraded to v5 a few days ago.
    ClassicMenu Indicator - classic GNOME menu for Unity
    Unsettings - configuration program for the Unity
    Privacy Indicator - easily switch privacy settings in Unity
    Arronax - create and modify app starters

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

If I wanted vertical space, I would have bought a square monitor.

Beans

Rolling Release Firefox

Page 105 of 254 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155205 ... LastLast