- I'm trying to install the latest Ubuntu Desktop on an XP eMachine (replace XP with Ubuntu)
- The computer runs Windows fine, but I want to replace XP since it is no longer supported.
- I've downloaded the lastest v14.x and put the iso on a flash drive and am trying to boot from the USB to do the install.
- It boots up fine from the USB drive on a very old IBM NetVist PC. (when using PLoP Boot Manager to force boot from USB)
- When I try to do the same thing on the target eMachine I get a couple of "problem" messages.
- But, the desktop comes up more or less but the icons on the desktop and the mouse pointer have sort of a double image.
- Same problem when I attempt to boot from a Slax CD (which works fine on other machines)
- I'm guessing it is the video card driver (As viewed in XP: Mfg = S3, Chip Tpe S374, Mem = 1MB, Adpt String = Diamond Stealth, Driver Provider = Microsoft 7/1/2001, Driver Ver = 5.1.2535.0, Default Monitor on Se GTrio 32/64)
1 - The machine is not online... will Ubuntu automatically try and download the proper driver for the video card if I put the machine online?
2 - How can I fix this?
Thanks for any help.