Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Setup Icewm with Rox-Filer

Beans

HOWTO: Setup Icewm with Rox-Filer

I've been using Icewm with Rox now for a while on an older machine and thought it a good idea to share my gathered knowledge till now, seeing not a lot of info on Icewm here.....

I'll assumme you did a server install and know your way around the command line.
    Also have a look here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Installation/LowMemorySystems

For this configuration, you need the following packages:

gdm ( or any other dm )
    x-window-system-core
    icewm
    icewm-themes
    rox-filer
    menu
    xfce4-terminal ( This is a Dapper package; use xterminal in Breezy )
    Any other programs you like

Ok, so you have installed this and are ready for your first login. Now in GDM, set your session to icewm and make it the default. Otherwise it will start up with gnome and this doesn't work properly ( have never tried to get it to work though, so no info here. ) Well, type your log and pass and enter... There you are at a simple looking icewm session.

Now we are going to tweak this a bit so it looks nicer, we have a desktop with icons, and you know how to edit the icewm configuration files.
    So first open a terminal, if you installed one, there should be a treminal icon in the taskbar and in your start( icewm )menu

Code:
    mkdir ~/.icewm
    Code:
    cp /etc/X11/icewm/* ~/.icewm/
    Now, with your favorite editor ( I use Mousepad here... ) create a file "startup" in the ~/.icewm directory and put the following line in it:

rox --pinboard=yourusername &

Save it and make it executable:

Code:
    chmod +x ~/.icewm/startup
    Now logout and log back in, in the Icewm menu -> Logout. Now you come back into Icewm with Rox filer having taken over the desktop and a nice icon sitting there for your home directory. If you right click, you now get the Rox menu, have a look around here, especially the options, this is pretty straight forward.
    If you want more things on your desktop, just drag them there from a Rox window. One thing I like to have around is an icon for my cdrom, as this doesn't automatically appears as in gnome: from a rox window, go into the /media directory and drag the cdrom dir to the desktop. Now if you insert a cd and open this icon, it gets mounted automatically....

Setting the standard application for a certain file is also a matter of drag and drop: right click on the file you want to set the standard app for and -> Set run action.
    Now in a Rox window go to ( most of the time ) /usr/bin/ and from there drag the application you want to use to the Set run action window. That's it!

There's no trash by default in Rox; you delete files PERMANENTLY by right clicking on them and -> delete. If you want to have a nice trash on your desktop, download a tarsh from here: http://www.hayber.us/rox/misc/Rubbish-001.tgz
    Extract the file:

Code:
    tar xzvf Rubbish-001.tgz
    Drag the icon to your desktop and Voila, you now have a trash. Drag stuff to it to put it there. Be warned though: the delete option from the Rox menu still deletes things PERMANENTLY!!!

Two more little nifty Rox tricks: in a Rox window, hit '/' and you can type the location you want to go to, hit 'esc' to get out. Hit 'shift+!' to get a command line, hit 'esc' to get out again

Ok, this far about Rox, now we'll get into configuring Icewm. As you prabably figured out, the configuration files for Icewm are now in ~/icewm.

To add an application to your Icewm menu, there is are two ways. The easy way is to use the 'program's' menu in the Icewm menu. This menu is managed by the menu package. Every time you install a new application,run
    Code:
    update-menus
    from the terminal and this menu will get updated with your new app.
    The other way is by editing the ~/.icewm/menu file. Open it with your favorite editor and have a look at it; it's pretty self-explanatory. You can leave it as it is and add things to your needs, or delete everything in there and start all over again as I did. What it comes down to is this:

If you want a menu, add:
    Code:
    menu "NameOfMenu" folder { 
    }
    And DON'T forget the closing bracket. If you want a submenu, add the same code between the brackets of the menu.
    The syntax for adding a program to a menu is like this:

Code:
    prog "NameOfProg" pathtoiconofprog commandtoexecute
    You don't have to use the " " in the name of the program if it's a single word, but with them you can use spaces in the name.
    The path to the icon for the program is nine out of ten times /usr/share/pixmaps/nameofprogram.png. If this doesn't work, try .xpm instead of .png. If that doesn't work, you have to do a bit of searching around.....
    So, if for example, we want to create an 'Internet' menu, with a 'Browser' submenu, with 'Firefox' in there, you need the following:

Code:
    menu "Internet" folder {
        menu "Browser" folder {
        prog "Firefox" /usr/share/pixmaps/firefox.png firefox
        }
    }
    In the same way you can add programs to your toolbar, only then you have to edit ~/.icewm/toolbar ( DUH ).
    Have a look at the other files in~/.icewm as well, especially the preferences. They shouldn't be too much trouble now. Don't change the programs file though, as it is maintained by the menu package.

Also don't forget to have a look int the themes menu in the Icewm menu ( Icewm->themes) I personally like the SilverXP a lot; looks very slick.

Hope I helped some people out with this HOWTO; any comments are very welcome!!! Many thanks to the Ubuntu developers for making this happen and to the Ubuntu community for being so alive and kicking!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: HOWTO: Setup Icewm with Rox-Filer

easier way:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install icewm rox icewm-themes

i don't like to install icewm-themes "ugly themes" , instead download your prefered theme and extract it
    and .....
    Code:
    mkdir ~/.icewm/themes
    copy your extracted theme folder to ~/.icewm/themes

and load it from the menu
    Last edited by Googler; May 15th, 2006 at 04:18 PM.
    Idleness is not doing nothing, Idleness is being free to do anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Peter, this is an awesome tutorial so thanks

If anyone is looking for some iceWM eyecandy, download THIS SKIN and install it following Googler's advice.

Next, open up a terminal and type:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gtk-theme-switch gtk2-engines-ubuntulooks
    Then

Code:
    update-menus
    Click the iceWM menu > Programs > Apps > Tools > GTK+ 2.0 Theme Switch.

Click the drop down box and select 'Human', then click 'Apply'.

EDIT: Thought i'd post some screenshots
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shot1.jpg 
Views:	906 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	10124   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shot2.jpg 
Views:	758 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	10125  
    Last edited by jon_benge; May 27th, 2006 at 03:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Quote Originally Posted by Peter
    There's no trash by default in Rox; you delete files PERMANENTLY by right clicking on them and -> delete. If you want to have a nice trash on your desktop, download a tarsh from here: http://www.hayber.us/rox/misc/Rubbish-001.tgz
    Extract the file:
    You can also add that wastebasket to the 'right click file menu'.

Simply right click a file and choose 'Customise Menu'. A new ROX window will open and a message will appear. Simply drag the wastebin icon from the desktop into this new Window. A menu will appear and you need to choose 'Relative Link'.

From now, whenever you right click that file type, you will see 'Rubbish' in the menu. The downside is that you have to repeat this proceedure for everything single file type!

Beans

Hi John, thanks for your suggestions, especially the one about the wastebasket, I was looking for something like that...
    I've been quite busy with work lately, but when I have some time, I'll look if there's an easy way to set the procedure for all files... There is a file for ROX about MIME types, think there might ly a clue...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jon_benge
    Peter, this is an awesome tutorial so thanks

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gtk-theme-switch gtk2-engines-ubuntulooks
    um ... i can't find gtk2-engines-ubuntulooks in my repository anywhere. i find that extremely odd.

but i concur, even though i don't have an appealing theme up yet, i do appreciate the tutorial. i didn't expect to get icons without taking a bigger hit on my resources.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper

I got the 'gtk2-engines-ubuntulooks' package from the Dapper repositories.
    I can't remember whether it's in the main/restrictive or universal repositories.

It may be available in the Breezy repositories too, but under a different name. Try searching for it with:

Code:
    sudo apt-cache search ubuntulooks
    or

Code:
    sudo apt-cache search gtk2 engines

Beans
    Distro

yeah ... i tried searching for gtk2, gtk2-engines, gtk2 looks, ubuntulooks ... i really can't find it. all i found is clearlooks.

i'll keep looking and see if i can find it, but it looks like it might be a dapper only package.

never the less, i am extremely happy with the way this turned out. thanks for the how to.
    Last edited by dmizer; May 30th, 2006 at 01:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Clearlooks is a good theme, much better then the standard GTK themes.

Beans
    Distro

how do i put mounted drives on the desktop as a folder? i don't need auto mount, but i'd like to place a folder for my network drives on the desktop for easy access.

edit:
    okay, i'm an idiot. i just went back and read the first post. i just drag the mounted folder to the desktop and shezam ... folder on desktop. lol

how about this ... is there a way to make that folder appear automatically every time i mount the drive?
    Last edited by dmizer; June 8th, 2006 at 01:29 AM. Reason: i'm an idiot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast