Thread: Memory timings? / voltages?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation Memory timings? / voltages?

Hey guys, if anyone could shed some light on this I would gratefully appreciate it.

A couple of years ago I purchased a

Gigabyte M61PME-S2 REV2.0 Motherboard, because it was capable of running DDR2-800! Wowser!

at the same time I purchased some Corsair DDR2-800 CS5 Memory, 2 x 2GB to be precise.

Put it all together and it fired up! awesome!

However when that machine was running Windows XP SP2, it would frequently BSOD. ( I put this down to windows to be honest )

However after switching this machine to Ubuntu 10.04, i am experiencing the following problems.

Firefox closing randomly with shutdown error.
    Google Chrome doing the same.
    Flash Player crashing
    Random Log outs
    Random Restarts
    Random shutdowns.

After spending a few hours trying to figure out what was going on i performed a fresh install of Ubuntu 10.04..... Same problems.

Performed MemTest+, no errors

Removed 1 stick of 2GB memory and moved remaining stick into DIMM1.

AHA!!

Now I only experience one problem. Random complete freezes.

My curiosity got the better of me and I removed a 1GB DDR2-800 stick from my working machine and placed it in that motherboard. Sucess, everything working smoothly.

After close examination of the removed 2GB Corsair stick, the label reads 1.9V

I have since inserted this stick back into the motherboard and tried manually setting the DIMM settings, Timing Voltage etc. However I have no option to change the voltage in the BIOS, which of course means this motherboard is running my 1.9V memory at 1.8V?

Can anyone help me to either

Set my memory voltages correctly.

Verify this stick of 2GB corsair is b#####d?

Like I said any help is gratefully appreciated, as i'm starting to lose sleep

Sorry for the long post.

EDIT:

after some more googling, i found this

"1.8V DDR2 DIMM sockets supporting up to 8GB of system memory" - GA-M61PME-S2P Product Specs and User Manual

Looks like i bought the ram and this motherboards been running terribly for two years because of it.. *DOH*
    Last edited by matt-fender; March 22nd, 2011 at 01:20 AM.
    Get out of my way.