Thread: Connecting reliably with a DSL connection

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Connecting reliably with a DSL connection

I have a DSL internet connection. The DSL is just a cable that comes into my house, no routers under my control. For a long time the internet functioned fine in Ubuntu using the default Network Manager. Recently however, my ISP was bought by another ISP, and the service name had to be changed in the DSL settings. In Windows, it connects without any issue whatsoever, only the service name change was required... But in Ubuntu, the first time I connect I get a "Apache: Not Found" page, the next time, I get to the previous ISP's login page, it continues like this for some time until I get it working. I have to try connecting it again and again.

When I asked the customer service, they said that because of the takeover, they have switched servers. But they said, it should work properly in Windows, and they were clueless about Ubuntu. Is there anything I can do to solve this issue?
    vishy1618

pricetech is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Re: Connecting reliably with a DSL connection

Have you tried deleting the connection and creating a new one with the new settings ??

Will they let you put in a router ?? You can pick one up cheap these days.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by pricetech View Post
    Have you tried deleting the connection and creating a new one with the new settings ??

Will they let you put in a router ?? You can pick one up cheap these days.
    Yeah I've tried doing all that...its not just me, but all my friends and relatives who have this ISP face the same problem in their Ubuntu installs...so I'm really looking for a way without resorting to purchase a router...
    vishy1618

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

In Windows, it connects without any issue whatsoever, only the service name change was required
    In network manager DSL tab there is a field `service'.Did you try entering new service name there?
    Registered linux user #518022

Beans

Who is your ISP? Provide a link.