Thread: Authentication error upgrading to 10.10 from 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Authentication error upgrading to 10.10 from 10.04

I'm trying to upgrade my 10.04 install to 10.10, using the "Upgrade" button on the Update Manager.

After clicking through the release notes, the upgrade release tool downloads, and then a popup appears:

Authentication failed
    Authenticating the upgrade failed. There may be a problem with the network or with the server.

A quick googling indicates this might be a problem with gpg personal keys, and suggests running the gpg command with no arguments, which leads to an error:

gpg: symbol lookup error: /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so.6: undefined symbol: PC

Additional googling suggests upgrading libreadline6, but a sudo apt-get install libreadline6 indicates that libreadline6 is already installed and upgraded to the latest version.

We left the realm of me knowing what in the world is going on a while back -- so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

PS: My computer is an Acer Aspire 3810TZ. I have to do this sort of an upgrade because I have no CD drive and my BIOS has randomly decided to stop booting from USBs apparently.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Re: Authentication error upgrading to 10.10 from 10.04

Either click the 'Check' button in Update Manager or go to Applications > Accessories > Terminal and refresh your repository index following this command.

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Hopefully, there shouldn't be any errors when you re-try upgrades. If the error persists, go to Software Center > Edit > Software Sources and choose 'Main' server for your downloads and click the 'Reload' button in the pop up window.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Intel-System Freeze Post#22
    How to mark your thread [SOLVED]
    Registered Linux User-#473773-Ubuntu User-#23255-Machine-#384048

Beans
    Distro

Talking Re: Authentication error upgrading to 10.10 from 10.04

I consistently get these errors when either clicking the "check" button in the update manager or running sudo apt-get update from the command line:

Code:
    W: GPG error: http://archive.canonical.com lucid Release: Unknown error executing gpgv
    W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net lucid Release: Unknown error executing gpgv
    W: GPG error: http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid Release: Unknown error executing gpgv
    W: GPG error: http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-updates Release: Unknown error executing gpgv
    W: GPG error: http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-security Release: Unknown error executing gpgv
    I have tried every solution on the forums and otherwise found by google for this. I actually used to get a lot more errors, but this is what I'm left with.

Working on a hunch (one of those hunches where you can't quite explain how you actually came to this conclusion), I downloaded the source code for the C++ readline library v. 6.0, recompiled, and replaced the old libreadline install with my new files. That got me down to a single error:

Code:
    W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net lucid Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 5A9BF3BB4E5E17B5
    ... which I then fixed using the solution posted in the threads pertaining to what to do for a missing PUBKEY.

That seemed to do the trick, and now I can upgrade. Thanks for your help.

(Of course, this makes me wonder -- how many of those persistent gpgv errors popping up maybe have something to do with a bad readline library?)

Thanks!

Mila

Beans
    Distro

Isn't that just about the same thing they were talking about in post #7 of the link I gave you?
    The problem wasn't gpg after all, but libreadline6. Updating it didn't help, but building it manually (md5: a3a5bf025a1b8df869f45f34098ffc6a rather than 2569b5ed629a3e573b0a8f9ec23a37ff) and copying my version to /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so.6 worked!
    And then talked more about it in #16 & 17.

Beans
    Distro

Yes. That was how I figured out that it was a gpg problem before coming to this forum at all.

I had originally tried their version of reinstalling and replacing the libreadline.so.6 file with the recompiled version, but that didn't work (same error.) I ended up uninstalling libreadline entirely, reinstalling, deleting the new files and replacing them with my own versions.

Beans
    Distro

Ahh, I see...lol.

Glad you got it worked out anyway. I was a little concerned how you were going to do that without being able to use a cd or usb.