Thread: desktopBSD or Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Question desktopBSD or Windows

i was a windows user once.....
    but ever since i got my hands on a jaunty jackalope live CD (in a tech magazine), i started testing all kinds of distros, derivatives and desktop environments on my old PC. The Linux experience has been quite amazing and educative for me and ubuntu forums has helped me a lot in the process.
    i finally settled with ubuntu 10.10(with windows7) on my netbook and Fedora 14 (and windows XP) on my desktop. I think i don't need windows now and the work i do with windows can be done using WINE or Virtual-box.

i'm thinking of putting desktopBSD in place of Windows on my PC (dual booted with Fedora).

would it be advisable to do so?
    if yes, then how do i go about it?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: desktopBSD or Windows

If you feel comfortable with Unix then why not. While DesktopBSD is geared at the average user, *BSD is a different culture then GNU/Linux. There are some small but important differences, for example the default shell is the Korn Shell(ksh) instead of the Bourne Again Shell(bash)
    Because *BSD people prefer a "sophisticated-engineering" approach to the "dirty-nasty-hack" typical of GNU/Linux there is usually less hardware support so make sure you look into that first.

To do the install, it is acutally quite easy as I recall. DesktopBSD has a nice GUI-ish installer.
    here is a guide for you:
    http://www.desktopbsd.net/wiki/doku....c:installation
    To simplify things for you, you might want to go ahead and using a tool like gparted make a partition for the install befor booting off the install disk.
    Last edited by bleedingsamurai; March 21st, 2011 at 04:53 AM. Reason: fixed spelling errors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: desktopBSD or Windows

thanks for replying bleedingsamurai,
    you're right i should check the hardware supported by desktopBSD.