Thread: Possibility of looking into mobile music players/ phones in the future?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Possibility of looking into mobile music players/ phones in the future?

It would be really cool if there was a "MP3 Player" that was made by S76, but supports FLAC and OGG Vorbis files also. I have an MP3 player made by SanDisk that supports an enormous amount of files and is also expandable via Micro Secure Digital. Maybe some coders can make an Open source mp3 player O/S.

And for the phones: You guys should look into an android, but have a mobile version of Ubuntu installed, if there is one yet. I know Kubuntu has a version: http://www.kubuntu.org/news/10.10-release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Possibility of looking into mobile music players/ phones in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Roush 427r View Post
    It would be really cool if there was a "MP3 Player" that was made by S76, but supports FLAC and OGG Vorbis files also. I have an MP3 player made by SanDisk that supports an enormous amount of files and is also expandable via Micro Secure Digital. Maybe some coders can make an Open source mp3 player O/S.
    You might be interested in Rockbox. It supports FLAC and OGG and my SanDisk Sansa Fuze player turns on and starts playing much faster with Rockbox than with the original firmware.

Be aware that their support sites generally expect you to have done some work before you ask questions, so make sure to read the manual for your player and the Rockbox FAQ and the list/forum FAQ before asking questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Wow, that's really nice! but I don't see where it says it supports the Fuze+ models. The only thing I really don't like about the sandisks is that they are plastic and feel flimsy. That's why I wish there was an alternative made of the same material as the S76 laptops. Light and durable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have a Sansa e250 V1, and it runs Rockbox like a dream. It's a very high-quality piece of hardware, with a sturdy polycarbonate front and metal back. It has a great weight to it, and if you can still find them, they should be pretty inexpensive. Not bad at all for a play you can upgrade to 34GB of total storage.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!