Thread: Damaged hard drive :( PLEASE HELP! recovering the data/imaging the drive

Beans

Damaged hard drive :( PLEASE HELP! recovering the data/imaging the drive

hi!

Wasn't really sure where to put this but maybe someone could help me out, if anyone has any idea how to fix / get data off damaged hard drives -- or any links which could help me!!

Im trying to get the data off it, either by slowly copying the files from the damaged drive to a new one, or making an image of the entire drive!!

The other week I turned on my lacie 1tb HDD, and it made weird noises, tick, tick etc - (day before it was working fine)

I've tried it in a windows netbook and it recognises a USB device, but it never becomes accessible

Does anyone have any experience with this, what programs/utilities or anything, any sites which could help? I'd l

I have googled but keep coming across links for recovering a drive after OS failure/partition table corrupt

ANY help is greatly appreciated

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Damaged hard drive :( PLEASE HELP! recovering the data/imaging the drive

read through this
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1704894
    it may be of use for you

does the disk sound like it spins?
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

@pqwoerituytrueiwoq,
    I assume the link you provided is of different issue.You were able to login to ubuntu,whereas here,i think the OP is not even able to boot from Harddisk
    @markee--does the damaged HardDrive is getting detected in BIOS??If not,then i dont think there is any way to recover the data from it as it has damaged beyond repair..

Vote for my Idea
    ~~~Open-source Software and Patience go hand in hand~~~

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    read through this
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1704894
    it may be of use for you

not sure, it just makes clicking noises at the moment

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by satish_j View Post
    @pqwoerituytrueiwoq,
    I assume the link you provided is of different issue.You were able to login to ubuntu,whereas here,i think the OP is not even able to boot from Harddisk
    @markee--does the damaged HardDrive is getting detected in BIOS??If not,then i dont think there is any way to recover the data from it as it has damaged beyond repair..
    It's not the main drive, it's a 1tb external drive, connected via USB -

It just doesn't seem to get picked up so I can't access it

I could try forcing it to mount then using ddrescue on it? Either force a mount with it connected using USB or internally via SATA?

I was reading about trying to use ddrescue to create an img file from the disk, as ddrescue skips parts when it recieves errors/fails and puts them to the end when it keeps trying i think?

Would it be of any benefit to take the drive out of the enclosure and try it inside my desktop? There's a small chance it could be the electronics of the enclosure, although by the fact it makes ticking noises..sounds to me like the HDD itself

I know there's othe rways i.e. head replacement, platter swaps etc but these all cost big bucks !
    thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It might not be getting enough power , if it is usb powered try plugging into a powered usb hub ...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by satish_j View Post
    @pqwoerituytrueiwoq,
    You were able to login to ubuntu
    there was nothing to login to (/home was MIA) i was able to do stuff on a live cd

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    unless it is a ssd then it can't
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I would agree with Mike555.

Use a powered USB hub or plug in directly to your PC to avoid reduced power supply.

I have been trying to interface an external CD-RW device connected through an unpowered USB hub (the device drew power from a USB port) and it would not work properly until today I read about power supply sensitivity and I plugged the device directly into my laptop and not through an unpowered USB expander.

Then I was able to burn discs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly41 View Post
    I would agree with Mike555.

Use a powered USB hub or plug in directly to your PC to avoid reduced power supply.

I have been trying to interface an external CD-RW device connected through an unpowered USB hub (the device drew power from a USB port) and it would not work properly until today I read about power supply sensitivity and I plugged the device directly into my laptop and not through an unpowered USB expander.

Then I was able to burn discs.
    thanks, i will try this
    one thing though - if it was a power issue it wouldn't be making clicking sounds would it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Yes a power issue could cause clicking if there's not enough power to spin the disk up. If all else fails, you could remove it from the usb enclosure, and connect it via SATA, and use gddrescue to recover what you can.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Da...ystem or drive