Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nautilus error and blank desktop

Beans

Re: Nautilus error and blank desktop

OK. The first column tells us that your home directory has global write permissions and no execute permissions. Many of the graphical components of a Linux system will refuse to run for security reasons if the home directory has global write permissions. And without execute permissions, programs can't access anything inside your home dir.

This command will fix things. Be sure to type it exactly.
    Code:
    sudo chmod 755 /home/alex
    For an explanation, google Linux permissions and chmod.

Beans

Sorry I did not see the second page When I typed that command it just showed my default prompt on the next line (after asking for password). Trying a restart now...

Beans

Fixed! Thanks so much. Still have the ICEauthority error, but my gui is back and I will look for a solution to that before I post another thread.

Way to go!

Beans

Try deleting ~/.ICEauthority then logging in again. That should solve things.

Code:
    sudo rm /home/alex/.ICEauthority

Beans

I'm having the same problem, but when I enter the chmod command I just receive this message: cannot access /home/kira: no such file or directory

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi there. I have EXACTLY this problem

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1769954
    Last edited by hihihi100; May 29th, 2011 at 08:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

HELP ME PLEASE:

The ICEauthority file is owned by dexter:dexter, so is every file inside /home/dexter, now my troubles:

In the log in screen there are 2 users: Dexter(dexter) and Dexter(hihihi00) Dont ask why there are two, the most probably thing is that I, personally, f*cked it up, but I dont remember how: Both users have different passwords, and my aim is to migrate to Dexter(dexter) all the machine.

I selected Dexter(dexter), wrote the correct password and loaded Ubuntu 11.04, but the ICEauthority file update popup appeared again, so did, the
    Code:
    There is a problem with the configuration server. (/usr/lib/libgconf2-4/gconf-sanity-check-2 exited with status 256)
    My machine, if I log in as Dexter(dexter) is too limited: I can see the main menu, but I cannot access internet, libreoffice, not to any of my programs, I can switch users, or turn it off though, the wifi sensor works (my machine tells me there are available wifi networks in the area), I can see the weather and current time

Now, what is driving me nuts:

Top-right corner, the turn off button: below the options: lock screen, guest session, switch from dexter.. I see:

Dexter(hihihi100)

Losing pressure, whats is going on? Why do I read Dexter(hihihi100) when I logged in as Dexter(dexter)? I have very much valuable information in my machine, and it took me months to compile I dont know how many files from source

Please tell me that it can be fixed

MORE Information:

Luckily, I was able to access users and groups:

Dexter(dexter) custom account type
    Dexter(hihihi100) administrator account type

Basic settings of group name dexter:
    group ID: 1001,
    group members: Dexter (not marked) and Dexter (unmarked too) there is no way for me to tell you which one of each is Dexter(dexter) and Dexter(hihihi100)

Advanced settings for Dexter(dexter):

home directory: /home/dexter
    shell: /bin/bash
    main group: dexter
    user ID: 1001

user privileges: every item has been marked

Advanced settings for Dexter(hihihi100)
    home directory: /home/hihihi100 (THIS DIRECTORY NO LONGER EXISTS)
    shell: /bin/bash
    Main group: hihihi100
    user ID: 1000

User privileges: every item is marked

should I deactivate the user Dexter(hihihi100)? delete it?

Help please
    Last edited by hihihi100; May 29th, 2011 at 09:05 PM.

Beans

I have the same problem as ARBAUM....but i treid what ever u have speciefied....

sudo chmod 755 ~ and every other thing... this is my problem in pasebin...please help me.. http://paste.ubuntu.com/653847/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12