Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gentoo on 1.66GHz CPU?

Beans

Gentoo on 1.66GHz CPU?

Hi everybody.

I've a laptop with a 1.66 GHz Core Duo CPU and 1.5GB RAM. Is it enough to build Gentoo on it? And if I do end up building it, how long is it gonna take to compile stuff on it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Gentoo on 1.66GHz CPU?

I am not familiar with Gentoo but base on your spec it is good enough for any Distro.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Build as in compile everything yourself, ya but it will take time and I mean time

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Gentoo has been around since 2002.. During that time most users had Pentium 3, Pentium 4 and Celeron's. Most just above 1GHz. Most users didn't even have 1GB of RAM.

You Core Duo is well above those old chips.

Remember Gentoo can be as resource hungry or light as you wish.

Beans

Gentoo will compile without any trouble, the only issue is "How long will it take?" The answer here depends not only on the CPU, but also on the HDD, RAM, Internet connection ...

I can install Gentoo on my Laptop over a weekend. The Laptop is Pentium Dual Core 2.4Ghz, 3GB of RAM, 5400RPM HDD. When I say install, I mean install Gnome with OpenOffice, media players and codecs, Firefox + Chromium, LaTeX and basically a stable working system. KDE would take longer. I am also very familiar with the Gentoo installation procedure (having doe it several times on my 4-core desktop), if you are unfamiliar with Gentoo, then reading manuals a such would take much longer.

If you know Gentoo, I would guess you would need 4 days to compile a functioning system. If you are not familiar with Gentoo, give it couple of weeks as things will go amiss the first time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It will be a helluva lot faster than when I was running Gentoo on my P3 @ 500MHz w/128 MB of RAM and downloading everything over dial-up (whyyy did I do that to myself.. oh, yeah! I was learning Linux!)

Yes, I took many overnights of downloading to get all of KDE downloaded and installed (twice!)

That's why I came to Ubuntu; easy, simple and I didn't worry about telling my wife in the morning before I go to be "uh, something I did last night broke the computer, but I'll fix it tonight!". So she's happy I found Ubuntu too!
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Hidden!

Going to take a while, as in you might be leaving your computer compiling over night. It might be worth it, though, if you want to be able to brag about how your computer launches vim 0.1 milliseconds faster than everyone else.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans

So, is it not worth it? What is the educational value of getting a gentoo system up and running compared to one with arch(which I've done) ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by armageddon08 View Post
    So, is it not worth it? What is the educational value of getting a gentoo system up and running compared to one with arch(which I've done) ?
    Arch has a "next-next-finish" installer which takes you to a base CLI system. Gentoo has to do everything manually step by step, installing the base system layout and setting up even the most basic services (like vixie-cron and syslog).

Arch has a pre-build kernel that works on almost all Linux supported hardware, in Gentoo you have to build your own kernel knowing what you need and don't need in terms of modules (that alone took me 4 attempts to figure it out).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Bah chickens, back when I was a Gentoo user I built from stage 1 (if Gentoo still calls it that, as close to scratch as possible backen at least) on an 386 with 128MB of ram.
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast