Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to boot in to linux command prompt

Beans

how to boot in to linux command prompt

Sorry if a am in the wrong category here. I am a computer science student, and so sometimes I would like really quick access to a command line.

First off I was wondering if there was a way I could make a option in grub that will boot Ubuntu without any x11 stuff. Kinda like the System rescue option, but without the menu, and not start as root.

Second... I would say that I want a session that lets me start without x11, but for my purposes that is easy enough to do with ctrl+alt+number from the GDM. Instead, I would like a fast loading window manager that is good for programming. Really any interesting desktop environment (or window manager)suggestion that I am unfamiliar with would be investigated.(I am highly interested in wm/de, and have explored many.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: how to boot in to linux command prompt

Sorry if a am in the wrong category here. I am a computer science student, and so sometimes I would like really quick access to a command line.
    Ctrl + alt + T

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

i would also like to know this

to rephrase what he said we want a option in grub that would boot our systems like the server version boots normally

like a dual boot with ubuntu desktop and ubuntu server but with only one install
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by acklavidian View Post

First off I was wondering if there was a way I could make a option in grub that will boot Ubuntu without any x11 stuff. Kinda like the System rescue option, but without the menu, and not start as root.

Second... I would say that I want a session that lets me start without x11, but for my purposes that is easy enough to do with ctrl+alt+number from the GDM. Instead, I would like a fast loading window manager that is good for programming. Really any interesting desktop environment (or window manager)suggestion that I am unfamiliar with would be investigated.(I am highly interested in wm/de, and have explored many.)

what your looking for here is to boot into run level 3, you could always issue a reboot comand into init3, however it seems your looking for a quick access to check files mode... no graphics, and not wanting to wait . how to add a run level 3 to the grub boot menu i wouldnt know. if someone could clarify that would be great. (i wouldnt mind having it myself)

Beans

yes
    Ctrl + alt + T
    Thank you WlaadDyaab. This kind of demonstrates my point. Why should I let my computer load up all this Gnome and X11 stuff(Ex: Keyboard shortcuts daemon)when I will just start up a terminal, and use vi and G++ and nothing else.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq is on the money with the type of solution I am looking for.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    i would also like to know this

to rephrase what he said we want a option in grub that would boot our systems like the server version boots normally

like a dual boot with ubuntu desktop and ubuntu server but with only one install
    See: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9644518

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Do you guys or gals know what you are asking for? Think of all those people who are not studying computer science and who will boot into command line Linux by mistake and then claim that Ubuntu has broken their monitor because all they see is a black screen.

I might make that mistake myself and then panic. Modify your own boot loader if you want to but it is a no thank you from me.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by acklavidian View Post
    There are a a lot of lighter display/login managers (what's the plural of getty?) than GDM.

qingy is my favorite one.

As for wm/de, a lot of users (including programmers) like/prefer tiling window managers.

The Arch Wiki is usually good:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Window_Manager
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...indow_Managers

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Do you guys or gals know what you are asking for?
    I hope so.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by antaios256 View Post
    what your looking for here is to boot into run level 3, you could always issue a reboot comand into init3, however it seems your looking for a quick access to check files mode... no graphics, and not wanting to wait .
    Sorry, but the run-levels in Debian-based distros including Ubuntu are not at all like those for Red Hat based ones. In Ubuntu, there's no difference between 2, 3, 4, and 5., and the default run-level is 2.

You CAN edit the grub.cfg file, in the "menuentry" portions, to add the kernel option "text" where it says "quiet splash" in one or more of the portions. You can even duplicate one of these and add the text option, to be able to select from the menu. The reason for the "do not edit" warning is that your changes will be overwritten at the next kernel update (actually, the next run of update-grub).

The simplest way to get what you want is to extend the grub menu timeout from 3 to 10 seconds to give you time to react, and then when it appears, highlight the entry you want and press "e" rather than "Enter" which will give you an editor screen for the selected menu entry. Find the "quiet splash" words, and add "text" between them. Then press CTRL-X to boot with the edited entry.

If you wanted to never have the automatic GUI, you could edit /etc/default/grub to add the option, then run update-grub. Your system would now come up to the CLI every time, and typing "startx" after login would then launch the GUI when you wanted it.

Lots of options! Take your pick, or try them all...
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sisco311 View Post
    I tried this, and it works... However, the boot time is just as long as it takes to get to the gdm normally which kinda defeats the purpose. There has to be a way to streamline this. Anyhow I am starting to think that it would be best to choose a really fast distro, and boot from usb. Not to nullify my previous requests, but suggestions on a distro that would be ideal for this would be appreciated. The first thing that comes to mind is SolarOS(recently made popular by TRON). I haven't looked into it much, but its suppose to be fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast