Thread: Laptop Screen Diagnostics

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Laptop Screen Diagnostics

My laptop screen has completely stopped working. I have plugged in an external monitor for the time being.

Is there a way of testing connections or running a diagnostics to try and find out what the problem is.

Thanks in advance
    Jez

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Laptop Screen Diagnostics

Is this Ubuntu or OS specific? In other words, have you ruled out that it's a hardware problem, versus a software/driver problem?

If it's a hardware problem, then the fact that it's working on an external monitor tells you that the video chip on the motherboard seems to be working.

I'm definitely no hardware guru, but I'd suspect either the cable that connects the LCD to the motherboard, or the LCD inverter. How one would go about testing these without just replacing parts, I have no idea, sorry...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Pretty sure it's hardware as the screen was working fine one moment.

Then a reboot later it wasn't, no recent updates.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

When you turn the computer on, do you get anything on the screen, such as POST information? For instance, if you have a Dell, you would normally see the blue DELL "splash screen".

If you don't see anything at all, I would look at what I mentioned before, either the LCD cable, backlight or inverter board. This is not something we can really help with here...especially without pertinent information such as computer make/model.

If it was my computer, and if I had the service manual, I'd probably look at trying to re-seat the LCD cable. Anything beyond that is above me, and I'd take it to a repair shop.

Beans

Make sure you check it's out of warranty before taking it apart though. If it's in warranty it could be one for the manufacturers to fix.