Thread: help - what is accessing my proxy?

Beans

help - what is accessing my proxy?

Hello,

I am running Hardy Herron on a VirtualBox VM at work to do tasks in Linux from time to time. I'm currently having a problem that something on my Linux machine is trying to log in to my work environment with my username and an old password. This is a serious issue, because whenever I start the Linux VM my account at work gets locked out immediately and I have to get IT to unlock it.

I think it's likely that something has my username and password stored for accessing the proxy here. Before I got rid of it, I had the 'export http_proxy' line in my .bashrc script so that apt-get would work. But the problem persists. I have also removed the proxy settings under synaptic and the Gnome desktop at preferences->Network Proxy.

Any ideas for what could be attached to the username and password?

Thank you all for your help,

Dan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: help - what is accessing my proxy?

No, but it is an easy matter to wipe the instance and recreate it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgedog View Post
    No, but it is an easy matter to wipe the instance and recreate it.
    I'm unclear - are you talking about recreating the VM or recreating the issue?

Thanks,

Dan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I was suggesting that in the absence of a solution, you could delete the VM and recreate it. Alternatively, you could delete your user account in the VM and add a new user. Your invalid credentials are cached someplace, at it is likely it is a user level issue. I would unplug the host OS's network cable, launch the VM then add a new user account. Log out, then in as the new user and you can re-attach to the network. Your issue should be resolved.