Thread: Hardware questions (G3 Upgrade to G4) and VPN advice

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question Hardware questions (G3 Upgrade to G4) and VPN advice

Hey ubuntuforums, long time no see.

This is my situation;
    I run a small VPN on my main computer, on which me and my friends play Minecraft together. Recently, load has become so heavy I can't log on to my own server properly, so I decided I needed to move my server to another computer, that can pack a punch.
    My first idea was to run it on my Quicksilver 750Mhz G4 powermac, but it has a dead powersupply, and I can't find a replacement.
    (22-pin wtf?) Anyway, my buddy decided his G3 was pretty lonely, and he's giving it to me.
    An idea popped into my head; I read somewhere that some G3s can be upgraded to a G4 processor (the one from my broken G4 mac).. But I can't find any compatibility list or whatsoever on the net. Also, I read the mac would need its ROM flashed.. Anyway who can give me some advice on that, it would be very much appreciated!

On another note, I've been running this server on windows 7 using Comodo EasyVPN. It's like hamachi but doesn't have some of the free limits. The problem is, it only runs on Windows, and I need something that has a command line version, so I can run it on Debian's PPC port. I noticed openVPN is multiplatform, so my windows buddies would be able to connect to my Debian server without problem, or difficult methods? I mean some of them aren't too tech savvy, and I can't have them port forwarding their routers etc.. Would this be a good choice? I've also heard about Neorouter, but I couldn't even log into that after having a go with it on windows.

Thanks in advance,
    Kenny
    Last edited by Sc4Rzz; March 13th, 2011 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Added links.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Hardware questions (G3 Upgrade to G4) and VPN advice

Last edited by linuxopjemac; March 14th, 2011 at 01:32 PM.
    Linux on your Apple Mac │ iLinux
    http://mac.linux.be
    http://www.mintppc.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Hardware questions (G3 Upgrade to G4) and VPN advice

Quote Originally Posted by linuxopjemac View Post
    I know there are companies that sell these, it's just that I have a perfectly good G4 processor laying around, and I was wondering if a G3 powermac would be able to take it.