Thread: No log in for server 10.10

Beans

No log in for server 10.10

I have Ubuntu server 10.10 on an old desktop. When you start the computer up, the server requires a log in. Well, this is not so good if you set up a server correctly. They should not have a monitor or a keyboard. Set up that way, if there is a power outage, you have to hook up both to get the server running again.
    Is there a way to set up 10.10 server so that it does not require any input(log in) at start up? This would be the same way my Windows Home Server operates.

RK

Beans

Re: No log in for server 10.10

Quote Originally Posted by Robert the Kat View Post
    I have Ubuntu server 10.10 on an old desktop. When you start the computer up, the server requires a log in.
    All the server processes have already started by the time you get a login prompt. They're started at boot via the startup scripts in /etc/init.d. Reboot the server, don't log in, then go to another machine on the network and run "nmap 10.10.10.10" replacing 10.10.10.10 with the IP address of your server. That will show which services are listening on which ports.

You only need to log in if you want to run commands from the shell. It's no different than logging in over the network via SSH.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; March 13th, 2011 at 05:09 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    You only need to log in if you want to run commands from the shell. It's no different than logging in over the network via SSH.
    I see. Very interesting. Server works fine from the internet without having to "log in" at the server after start up.
    Thanks.

RK

P.S. Hope you have enjoyed all the bad storms this winter in Boston.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I just wanted to add that a server shouldn't be left unattended and logged in to. The screen should always be locked if you are not actively using it.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."