Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: GNOME Blog on Canonical, GNOME, and KDE

Beans

Re: GNOME Blog on Canonical, GNOME, and KDE

Quote Originally Posted by bruce89 View Post
    The whole thing is a deliberate misrepresentation of GNOME to make them look bad. Perhaps it's designed to bolster support for more forking/improvements like Unity.
    I doubt that. I do not see some of the folks that work at Canonical staying if they have intentions like that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Figured I'd pitch in my two cents. Really, focusing on the positives here: at the very least, both sides (Canonical and Gnome) have developed their own polished products that can compete side-by-side. Really, it's actually kind of an exciting time to be an end user when you think about it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by DeadSuperHero View Post
    Figured I'd pitch in my two cents. Really, focusing on the positives here: at the very least, both sides (Canonical and Gnome) have developed their own polished products that can compete side-by-side. Really, it's actually kind of an exciting time to be an end user when you think about it.
    Especially if someone manages to force through some standards that will make life on a Linux desktop easier. (and I think that Canonical is in an excellent position to do this)
    The above post definitely does not contain any sarcasm at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    NO! No, we don't want them to start "improving" KDE....
    +1

if KDE gets "unityzed" i'll stick to XFCE, if XFCE follows suit i'll move to enlightenment, if enlightenment folds to the "unity paradigm", i'll protect myself with some *box and, if all else fails, i'll hopefully would've learned enough by then to write my own desktop enviroment that doesn't try to "revolutionize" my desktop "experience" and just let me use my computer in peace like Babbage intended[1]...

1: Charles Babbage is considered "father of the computer" for those that might not get the reference.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielYYZ View Post
    +1

if KDE gets "unityzed" i'll stick to XFCE, if XFCE follows suit i'll move to enlightenment, if enlightenment folds to the "unity paradigm", i'll protect myself with some *box and, if all else fails, i'll hopefully would've learned enough by then to write my own desktop enviroment that doesn't try to "revolutionize" my desktop "experience" and just let me use my computer in peace like Babbage intended[1]...

1: Charles Babbage is considered "father of the computer" for those that might not get the reference.
    Or if it's like GNOME you could just disable it and use the default UI of the DE...
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielYYZ View Post
    +1

And will you write it in Ada?[2]

2: Ada is a programming language named after Ada Lovelace (1815–1852) who is often credited as being the first computer programmer based on her writings about Babbage's differential engine.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234