Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 64 bit Ubuntu can not play MSS2 video encoded WMV files?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: 64 bit Ubuntu can not play MSS2 video encoded WMV files?

It is possible to play MSS2 codec encoded WMV files in 64-bit Linux but using SMPLayer for Windows (FOSS, of course) running under WINE. See my blog post: How to play MSS2 codec (Windows Media Video 9 Screen) .wmv files in 64-bit Linux for details.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Great…!!!!! its working ….
    Thanks alot….
    During installation we need to include the binary codecs….then it will download the windows codecs automatically during installation..
    once again thank you….

Beans

Hello Folks.

I'm glad I came across this thread and to read that some of you have been successful in getting CBT Nuggets to play on your box.

I have Ubuntu 10.10 and have tried to follow all the instructions on the several of websites scattered online without success.

Can you please layout the instruction on getting it to work on a 32bit system? This is the only thing that is holding be back from going 100% Ubuntu.

Thank you in advance.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ecuasteelo View Post
    Hello Folks.

I'm glad I came across this thread and to read that some of you have been successful in getting CBT Nuggets to play on your box.

I have Ubuntu 10.10 and have tried to follow all the instructions on the several of websites scattered online without success.

Can you please layout the instruction on getting it to work on a 32bit system? This is the only thing that is holding be back from going 100% Ubuntu.

Thank you in advance.
    Download smplayer from ubuntu software centre....

Then u need to download a package from medibuntu called w32codecs....For medibuntu check out the following link....

http://www.unixmen.com/linux-tutoria...rminal-and-gui....

by doing this new repository named medibuntu will added to your software centre....

then download the w32codecs from there...

Then u should be able to play the video file using smlayer....in ubuntu itself

Beans

Thank you Sumith_p. I will give it a try and see if it works for me.

Beans

You are kidding me?!? No respite for this? This is a big issue and an oversight. I want to and do use ubuntu on all my computers, I am running 11.10 x64. I cannot control what others do and now need to watch an educational video for work and cannot as it is in this format. I installed the medibuntu repo and smplayer. They still do not play. These should 'just play' in mplayer/xine or even vlc IMO. Why is this still unresolved?

Beans

This issue was discussed recently on the MPlayer-users mailing list. Have a quick read of this thread for the current issues.
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

I get it. Does anyone have another solution? If X64 linux cannot play these, can we install some viewer in wine and still view these? I tried VLC under wine and that did not work. WMP11 is too advanced, I guess, for Wine. I am certain that I will need to watch more of these for work.

Keith

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Last edited by ron999; April 3rd, 2012 at 11:08 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by keithspg View Post
    You are kidding me?!? No respite for this? This is a big issue and an oversight. I want to and do use ubuntu on all my computers, I am running 11.10 x64. I cannot control what others do and now need to watch an educational video for work and cannot as it is in this format. I installed the medibuntu repo and smplayer. They still do not play. These should 'just play' in mplayer/xine or even vlc IMO. Why is this still unresolved?
    HA ... I was looking for the same answer, reading the thread, looking at the dates, thinking, "it must be fixed by now". Then I saw your post from yesterday. OH NO, still no fix .....

Someone in another forum said those codecs could just be re-compiled for 64-bit, but I don't know how to do it.

So yeah, I'd love to find a way to play MSS2 on my 64-bit box. I installed w32codecs on my 32-bit box, and opened the videos in gnome-mplayer. They play fine.

On my 64-bit box I tried the w32codecs which gave me w64codes, but I still can't watch the videos -- the audio works in most players, but no video. I tried smplayer, vlc, gnome-mplayer, banshee, and kmplayer .... no video.

Darn, I'm trying to go all Linux.

Maybe my 32-bit box with Mplayer can re-encode them ... bad solution though.

Or maybe I should use Wine, or just put them in an XP VM ... bad solutions though.
    Last edited by LinuxQuint; April 3rd, 2012 at 04:46 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast