Thread: Installing Encrypted LVM freezes computer at POST

Threaded View

Beans
    Hidden!

Exclamation Installing Encrypted LVM freezes computer at POST

I installed Ubuntu Lucid on a Hewlett Packard HP pavilion 700 this morning using a method for encrypting all but the boot files as found here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1205372&highlight=cryptsetup.

Now, I start the computer and it hangs at the HP splash screen. I press F1 to get into the BIOS and it never gets there. I can't use a live CD of any distribution to get into the box to try to undo the changes to disk.

I have performed the same encrypted install on 4 different computers now without trouble. When this first happened this morning, I was able to get into the BIOS once and the hard drive that I installed ubuntu on was not even detected. I thought there was a problem with the hard drive and I put a different hard drive in, installed Ubuntu again, and ended up with the same problem.

Has anyone seen this happen? How can I rescue my system? Is this going to happen if I switch over to debian? How can I upgrade to Lucid and have system encryption on this box if this is going to happen???
    Last edited by opus1; March 12th, 2011 at 07:29 PM. Reason: fixed link